Herder 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herder 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger

I have been asked by a friend to help him find a new owner for a few items locally here in SA.
    I know a bit about fighting knives and Japanese swords, but know very little about German stuff except that I avoid them because I know nothing, and because most have been messed with at least, and a lot of good fakes out there too.
    So hoping you guys can assist me with a little info on this one.
    From my research online, it appears to be a Herder 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger with the crossed keys logo.
    However, what struck me as odd is that the logo was under the eagle. Wrong side, right?
    So that means immediately that it has been stripped before...so likely "stuff done" to it?
    Since I took these pics, I was able to easily take it apart, turn the blade around and put it back together carefully. However the grip does still move and rotate a bit, and is not tight on the tang. Vertically it's ok, but it can rotate when moved. Not sure how tight they are supposed to be on the tang, but this one is a bit loose and can be rotated.
    Little bit of silicon glue inside the collar means someone tried something, but can't see evidence of a lot of that, and the little bit I saw removed easily. Don't know what the core is, or how enlarged it has become.

So I guess my question is, does there appear to be anything else of concern, and what comments are there of the item as a whole? It is a parts dagger, or just one that is not as tight as it could be? Blade looks very good...anything to worry about there?

Does the hanger look correct? Portabee original or newer replacement?
    Desirable maker I hear, but does looseness and/or anything else negate this?

Appreciate any info at all, as I would like to give any potential owners decent and honest info. It is also growing on me a lot..so much so that if the news is not too bad, I may make an offer.

Thanks in advance.

Good observation about blade.
    One story about mint Herders blades:

"I heard that there was a bunch of different types of minty unused Third Reich era blades bearing this "Crossed Keys" logo discovered in the 60's in Solingen and they were brought back and have been finding "new homes" ever since."

Because that, I personally avoiding Heer and Luftwaffe daggers with these type of Herder logo.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

I get what you are saying, but surely we can't just discount any Herder crossed keys bayonet because the blade is excellent?
      What do the rest of the fittings and hanger look like? Ok..or are there any warning signs?
      Not worried about a premium for the maker...but whether I can consider it a legit piece, wartime made with correct fittings.
      Hard to say, I know. Are the fittings and hanger consistent with legit wartime and real ones?

Comment

Every person has a right to crate own opinion.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/luftwa...e-dagger-6054/

Rest dagger fitting are WKC/generic type.
        From these photos dagger hanger and portepee are looks OK.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X