Earliest Army dagger by Eickhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earliest Army dagger by Eickhorn

This came in from a veterans nephew. Slant grip double oval Eickhorn with well worn portapee and brass hanger.

Thought you guys would like to see one that came in untouched. I was lucky this time.

-wagner-

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

On these early crossguard versions, apparently eickhorn used a very fine stippling on the eagle wings.

On the 14 leaf pommel, they darkened the background.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Logo was the early Double Oval split-tail squirrel.
        Attached Files

Comment

I seem to have a problem uploading some photos. ....

Anyway, the grip is IMHO, the most exciting piece, as the quality and feel of the taper is most appealing to the touch when gripped. To me it seems constructed differently then other slants. Perhaps, some of the Heer experts can comment on this or if I'm mistaken about it.

It looks to me that the officer who surrendered this dagger was issued the portapee
          and the brass hanger, which he kept on the dagger throughout his service.

Hope you enjoy it.

-wagner-
          Last edited by Serge M.; 09-13-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

A fine catch you did.

Regards, Wim
              Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Wags:
                If you look in TW's Army book, Pgs. 64-65, you'll see a very early dagger by WKC with the same grip. What surprised me was that the blade was slightly wider than a standard dagger. It would be interesting to do a comparison between yours and a later Eickhorn. If there's an equally early Klass and Alcoso out there to measure that would be something to note.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguru View Post
                  Wags:
                  If you look in TW's Army book, Pgs. 64-65, you'll see a very early dagger by WKC with the same grip. What surprised me was that the blade was slightly wider than a standard dagger. It would be interesting to do a comparison between yours and a later Eickhorn. If there's an equally early Klass and Alcoso out there to measure that would be something to note.
                  Notaguru, That's very interesting info. I have a Eickhorn with sword logo Army, would that be late enough ?
                  Going to get the calipers.

Thanks for the chime-in. Great stuff here.

-wagner-

Comment

Excellent initial production Eickhorn army! Textbook all the way Thanks for showing this beauty.

Regards
                    Danny

Comment

Nice early Eickhorn army Serge

Comment

Very early

Comment

"the most exciting piece, as the quality and feel of the taper is most appealing to the touch when gripped"

your talking daggers...right?

Comment

Yep - That is a beautiful army Serge - Love everything about it

Comment

Serge:
                              Using calipers would be the best way but a simpler way is to just try to put it in a later Eickhorn scabbard. I tried it with the two WKC's shown in Tom's book, wouldn't fit. Then I noticed that the WKC logo fit entirely on the flat of the early dagger while extending towards the edge on the later one. I sold the early one several years ago. I think Bob Rodgers has it now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X