Stag Handle Dresser by Holler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stag Handle Dresser by Holler

A nice FW Holler stag horn gripped 'remembrance' etched bayonet with the frog and green and silver knot for an NCO.
    The etch is a common one but the grips make it, along with the blade being in pristine condition on both sides!
    Green felt in the fuller for mountain troop. There was a mountain troop jaeger enlisted visor with it but I don't do visors. At least, I try not to.
    Tim
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

TP:

I have some concerns about the etch. Hollers can be pretty sloppy, their quality control was not of the first tier, but this etch has many more sloppy details than I am happy with.

John

Comment

Holler Etch

TP, I'm with John Z on this. Your example was not one of Holler's best etches on its manufacturing day. Monday morning special?

What I see right away is that the upper right of the book end borders (closest to the ricasso) is incomplete. It should run around all the way around. This example does not show this. Also the opposite ends' bookends are a touch gnarly for my liking.

Then we come to the grips Not sure if you noticed the large gap on the obverse by the pommel. Shrinkage?? If so that's a lot. Second the rivets are too close together as well as being larger from what we normally see. All in all IMHO the grips in time have been replaced. They don't seem to have toned over time as we see. There is quite a bit of whitening towards the underneath of the grips.

TP, I'm not trashing your etch what's so ever, it just wouldn't be for me. Best wishes,

Mat J

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X