Clear All

Portepee / knot opinion?

Hi,

Is it WWII period?
    Used for bayonet? SS?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

JC,

This knot has been the subject of many threads on what is it, when it came from & whether it is period or not. It depends on whom you talk to as far as the answer. There are also at least two similar patterns.

The color pattern appears to be SS affiliated but there is very limited (if any) info on whether this specific knot was used during the 3R.

In a nutshell, I would say don't pay too much for it & don't put too much faith in it, but I'm a natural skeptic.

Comment

I never seen one attached to a SS sword from a Veteran source, also not the style type of knot for a SS bayonet.

-wagner-

Comment

Wags is right

Comment

Thanks a lot.
          It was attached to an original Kriegsmarine dagger but I think it don't have anything to do with this dagger.

Construction is the same as DRK hewer portepee but with black color & not blue.

JC

Comment

Jr SS NCO Knot

I concur with Wags (our future moderator) and Billy G. Funny how every example we see appears to have come out of time machine. Sure wish a period photo would present itself. I picked one up off Eban a year ago or so for $90.00. Thought I won the lottery with it. But it turns out it will most likely be one of those items I'm gonna die with. Probably just have it adhered to my urn or casket Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X