Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe forestry dagger

Hello forum members...
    I have a guy on my FB site wanting to sell what he calls a Luftwaffe forestry dagger.it looks like a standard 1st model Luftwaffe dagger with aluminum fittings and chain.now from the pictures he has shown you just can't tell but he says it had dark green leather wrappings on scabbard and grip.he is quite indignant that long time collectors have not heard of this varient.I am still not convinced...what is everyone's take on this....I will try to get some pictures posted.
    Thanks everyone.
    Paul

I'm not a 'dagger guy' by any means, so I tried to find something about the piece you describe on the internet. All of the reverences I could find show photos of a piece resembling a bayonet or a fighting knife; nothing like "a first model Luftwaffe forestry dagger" akin to your description. There was one listing by a British gun dealer of an item not shown; his description of this item is:

"RARE, Nazi / WW2 Era German Luftwaffe Forestry Officials Dagger By ‘Ch AW’ (Chromolit-Besteckfabrik, Arthur Wingen, Solingen) Retailed By Waffen Loesche Berlin With Stag Horn Scales, Steel Scabbard & Nazi Marked Leather Frog . Sn 12956 - 12956 This is an excellent Luftwaffe Official’s Forestry dagger with scabbard & frog (see page 185 of Collecting The Edged Weapons Of The Third Reich Volume 1 by Johnson where an identical example is interestingly described as a Luftwaffe dress bayonet). These substantial weapons were not only symbols of rank but were also carried when hunting large game such as Boar for self defence and to deliver the 'death blow' to the hunted prey. This quality example has Stag Horn scales secured by 3 brass screw bolts. It has a small oval finger guard and original leather hilt washer. Its 8 ¼” blade has medial ridge and fullers on both sides. The blade is marked by the manufacturer ‘Ch AW’ (Chromolit-Besteckfabrik, Arthur Wingen, Solingen see page 91 of The Sword and Knife Makers of Germany 1850-2000 by Anthony Carter) on one side and the reverse by the retailer ‘Waffen-Loesche Berlin’ (illustrated in image 2). The back of the blade is stamped ‘H’. The sidearm measures 12 ¾” overall length and is complete with its original black painted steel scabbard. The scabbard is fitted with its correct original brown leather frog. The frog is undamaged and the rear of its belt loop has a very faint Waffenamt (illustrated inset in image 2)."

But this item, too, sounds like a bayonet or a fighting knife to me, not what I would recognize as an 'officer's dagger.' Hopefully some of our colleagues here will have more information; I'd be interested, too!

Br. James

Comment

Luftwaffe forestor dagger

Yes I had the same results. Losche fighter is the only one I ever found... Now another guy has said that it did exist but I still have seen no proof whatsoever...
      Still how would I ever know for sure.
      I really suspect that it is a 1st Luft that has been restored using pebbled green leather in the upgrade and now he wants $2000.00 USD.
      Really?
      Please any help much appreciated

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X