Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help

Hi

I would like to sell this dagger but first I need some help with identification and value.

The blade has no makers mark.

Thanks

Doc
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like Imperial German Firefighter Dagger?

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

Thank you. What about the value?

Comment

Assuming it is original, I would think around $1200 to $1500 but I could be wrong.

Comment

Fredswiss, that's a nice price. I didn't expected so much

Comment

Are there others that can confirm that this is a German imperial fireman dagger?

Comment

Your dagger is a Fire Official's dagger. Although unmarked, it was produced with WKC fittings.

This example appears to be the most basic of designs since the blade is plain & the parts have absolutely no embellishments whatsoever. I have only seen a plain blade Fire Official's dagger once or twice before although I've seen the plain fittings type a little more frequently.

It is hard to set a time period for this model dagger since it was produced consistently between the late 1860's throughout the 3R & even after with very little change. I don't know that this one would be Imperial, per se. The Imperial examples tended to have longer blades although not always. What is the blade length?

I wouldn't set the value as high as $1200-$1500 since it's so plain & the blade has some age darkening on it. Also, we can't specifically tell for sure it was produced in the 3R. My feeling is probably the Weimar era based on the peened over tang although it certainly might have come from the Inperial time as well. The condition looks OK considering the grip doesn't seem to have any chips or cracks & they often have them. Decent but I don't think it would bring more than $700-$800 but that's JMO.

Comment

For reference, here are a pair of pictures of a Weimar/3R era Fire Official's dagger also produced by WKC. As you can see, there is a lot more embellishment on the crossguard & pommel.

The style I've pictured is more commonly seen than the ones that are completely devoid of any detailing. That said, although the plain ones are more scarce, they are also less desirable to collectors.

The knot is original to this dagger & is exceedingly rare in itself.
                        Attached Files

Comment

As you can see, this side of the blade is acid etched in the typical WKC pattern. The other side has a presentation which also makes it quite rare. Most of the Fire Official's daggers in my collection are variants by Eickhorn but this WKC was just too special to pass up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh My Billy!!

Comment

Thanks Billy G. Your posts were very helpfull. The blade is 32.5 cm long. I guess is aprox. 13"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X