Army Officer's Sword - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Officer's Sword - Help Please

I just acquired this sword. I was intrigued by the fact that the blade is marked with the word "Germany" (please see photo). I vaguely recall that atom Wittmann had one marked in this manner but do not recall Tom's comments regarding why it was marked in this manner. I am convinced it an original sword of the period. Any thought/opinions as to why the word "Germany" appears on a Third Reich sword would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help:
    Attached Files

Here's a view of the hilt:
    Attached Files

Comment

Lastly, a view of the back of the hilt. Thanks in advance for any help:
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice sword. IMO product of PAUL SEILHEIMER, no idea why stamped GERMANY, unless after war, product for GI's ??

Comment

Thanks Reichsword. I appreciate your input. Does anyone else have any thoughts on why the word "GERMANY" would be stamped on the blade of a Third Reich sword?

Comment

I just spoke with Joe Pankowski and he indicated that in the 1930's numerous Solingen manufactors were making other edged products (cutlery, hunting knives, etc.) for export and when their products were handled by a distributor (In this case, F.A.Bower), they (the distributor) often stamped everything with their distributors mark (including the "GERMANY" stamp), even on items that were not intended for export (like this sword).
            Also, Reichsword nailed the maker. It is Paul Seilheimer (I found it in Angolia's sword book listed as an unattributed model).

Comment

Years ago, Ron Weinand had an Army Dagger with the F.A. Bower proofmark. It had NY instead of Germany under it. I always thought it was post war, maybe not?

Comment

I Googled F. A. Bower and found this:
                " According to Bernard Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values, 4th Ed., F. A. Bower was an import company located in Jacksonville, FL, in the 1950's. The company imported knives from Germany and Japan. I have had some German-made Bower knives (also Fabico - same company, an acronym that stood for F.A. Bower Import Company) - and the quality was decent enough. They were made in Solingen, Germany. They show up on Ebay on a fairly regular basis. Good luck. "

Most of the info seems to indicate that Bower bought and sold finished products and imported them to the US in the 50's & 60's. Most of the Bower knives listed are Bowies and lock backs.

Comment

Is there on sable blade any Paul Seilheimer logo stamp? IMO blade fitting with sabre handle part looks little odd.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

Thanks Fred and Brian, we learn something new here all the time. I had never seen the Bower TM before, hope we can shed some more light on this interesting sword.

Comment

No, there is no Paul Seilheimer logo or maker's mark on the blade. I am convinced it's not a parts piece. The length of the sword bleed is a perfect match to the scabbard.

Comment

A couple of additional observations:
                        1) F.A. bower must have had an office in Solingen since "SOLINGEN" is stamped on the blade above the word "GERMANY"
                        2) I believe any items imported into the U.S. after the war would have been marked "West Germany" (not "Germany").

Comment

From what I found F.A. Bower Imp. had offices in NYC and Jacksonville FL.
                          The split between East & West Germany did not become official until '49 and not required by law for many years. I think Bower bought up all types of left over edged weapons after the war.
                          I worked in a few manufacturing companies who sold their products with out any stamping or ID, allowing distributors to place their own stamps on them. The practice continues today with almost all commodities.

Comment

Here is a trademark on HJ knife that everything is textbook pre May 45. Everyone says it must be post war because of the word GERMANY. My question about it as with the sword is what about Germans living abroad before the outbreak of war? If they bought a sword or knife from a uniform outlet say in New York would it not be marked with the country of origin?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguru View Post
                              From what I found F.A. Bower Imp. had offices in NYC and Jacksonville FL.
                              The split between East & West Germany did not become official until '49 and not required by law for many years. I think Bower bought up all types of left over edged weapons after the war.
                              I worked in a few manufacturing companies who sold their products with out any stamping or ID, allowing distributors to place their own stamps on them. The practice continues today with almost all commodities.
                              An interesting and not unreasonable point of view some early writers speak of seeing all sorts of parts and leftover stock in Solingen after the war. With some like this example probably going out the 'front door' decades ago legitimately marked as for an export. With countless other items via Atwood and his like minded counterparts exporting PW items of originally period and then new manufacture out the 'back door' shortly after the war to now with fake or no markings - like the relatively recent "DJ/Party Day/Olympic" fakes as just one example. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X