Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WKC. Is this WWI or later ?

Hi
    I recently acquired this at a local car boot sale and I wondered if there's any way of dating it. It's marked with the WK&C stamp mark.
    Also, would it have been issue or a private purchase as there's no other markings.
    Robbo

Ww1

Comment

That maker mark is from the imperial era, not 100% sure but I think it was the first one they used before changing from WK & C to WKC. Sorry don't know anything about the Knife.

Comment

A nice find it's a wartime (the black hilt) Imperial era private purchase trench/close combat knife that looks like it's in fairly decent condition. FP

Comment

Same opinion, looks like imperial era piece, blackened handle, wood chequered grips, b.r.Andy

Comment

Thanks to every one for your help. It's much appreciated.
            It's in really nice condition apart from the small split in the handle
            Robbo

Comment

WKC Is this WWI or later?

Frogprince has it correct - the piece can be dated as World War One, in fact it is specifically post 1916. In the year 1916 the German military administration determined that all weapons and side-arms being worn in combat situations were to be painted black; this was to make the bearers of such items to be less obvious to enemy snipers - as shiny, and showy, artifacts were easily visible.

So your Fighting Knife is dated for 1916 or after. The manufacturer is Weyersberg Kirschbaum and used the joint two emblems of the "King's Head" and the "Knight's Head" as emblems denoting their respective earlier pedigrees; the two companies of Weyersberg and Kirschbaum not becoming jointly associated until about 1880. (They also had an acknowledged collaboration with the Wilkinson Sword Company of England).

Weyersberg Kirschbaum did not become known as the WKC enterprise until about 1930.

F. J. Stephens

Comment

Hi
                Thank you for that information, it's very comprehensive and tells me everything.
                Thanks again to everyone.
                Robbo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X