2nd Model Luftwaffe "Officers" Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Model Luftwaffe "Officers" Dagger

I was offered this dagger "from the vet's family." As the story goes, the sellers father inlaw brought it back when he returned home. I was told a Luftwaffe Officer surrendered this dagger, and his Luger (which he still has but is not selling unfortunately) to the sellers inlaw. I realize the story is just that, a story. It's not going to matter one way or another if it's true, I'm just wondering if anyone here can see anything in this dagger that may corroborate what I was told. The seller is asking $650, though I think he may go for $600. To me this seems somewhat pricy for a second model Luftwaffe dagger, unless there is something I am not seeing, something that may make it just a bit more special. Also, the detailing on the eagle/cross guard appears to be done by hand if I am not mistaken? Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated and thanks!

Also, the spot you see on the scabbard is apparently glue, that he can "scrape off with his finger nail."

I would ask the seller if there is a maker mark on the blade. Then ask for a close-up photo of the pommel and a photo of the leaf pattern on the top of the crossguard (on top of the eagles wings).

Comment

Thanks for the response and yeah I apologize, the maker is Alcoso, I'll attach a picture in this reply. Photo bucket had actually deleted the pommel photo, for some reason they haven't removed it yet. Anything that may validate this as being an Officers dagger? From what I understand, enlisted men could carry this dagger as well. Input and opinions appreciated!

Comment

The Alcoso mark on the blade is late production period, condition is OK but unremarkable for the price IMHO, (even considering it has the hangers & knot). For the same money, I would think you could find nicer or more interesting example here on the estand.

Scabbard looks Alcoso, at least from my phone screen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the crossguard leaf pattern (left over right) would suggest WKC fittings rather Alcoso (right over left), is it possible a late Alcoso would be finished with WKC fittings?

Comment

Crossguard and scabbard are IMO generic WKC style.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

Thank you for the replies and that is basically how I feel. It's a cool Luftwaffe dagger, just not that cool or rare.

Comment

top retail

600 would be top top retail for that piece, 5-550 is more in line for such a common one

Comment

Hanger strap

I feel one hanger strap has been repaired. The stitching on one side, at the point it attaches to the top bar, is visible. The fabric may have been torn or frayed where it passed over the bar so the defect was removed and the strap hand sewn together. just my openion

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X