No announcement yet.

Chained dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Bernie and Larry. I like the chain (dome-shaped holes and the markings) and the dager/scabbard look fine. The gilting shows wear in all the right places, but even with good photos it's hard to make a call on the gilting.

I'm leaning toward believing that it's okay and, if it is, you have a pretty rare dagger there

Best,
    Skip

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I would be extremely cautious of buying this dagger, for the following reasons. First, the Marine NSKK daggers seem to be acceptible by collectors, only when manufactured by Eickhorn. This is not just paranoia, but based upon good solid evidence, namely that direct veteran aquisition has shown Eickhorn to be, as far as I am aware, the only producer. Of course, people debate this issue, and it is certainly debatable. But correct or not correct, be cognizant of it when making a purchase - real and sellable are often two different things. Second, the wear is not necessarily commensurate with the finish being period. Notice, for example, that the wear to the eyelets on the chain have plated surfaces - this is an indication to me that the plating was applied after the wear occured. Same goes for scratches. The photos make it appear that the scratches also are gilted. Finally, despite some fairly significant wear in the form of scratches and dings, the finish is almost 100%, judging by the pictures. One would expect more wear to the finish. These are just observations, and I leave it to people that hold the dagger in their hands to draw their own conclusions. However, if it is a period finish, I would suggest that it may be a post-factory finish.

Comment

Thanks Craig for you analize .i will transmit it to the person who asked me to post it. Thanks again gentlemen for all your advices.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X