Beautiful Early SA dagger by Helbig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
    Very nice blade but looking at the strange finish on the blade gives me pause , and I don't like raining on the parade , but the close ups show it doesn't have the usual grind , and for me looking at the makers mark it shows this on places on the edge of the mark , ...and areas like close to the ridge of the blade I see scratches that turn back instead of all in one direction. Unfortunately I feel the blade has been worked over by something abrasive. (Scotch brite? Not sure doesn't matter)
    One area near the hilt was also devoid of this scratching. (Shiny and smoothie)
    As nice as it is I feel objectively its value from the working over by someone has been compromised.
    These scratches have also taken down a lot of the drag marks that a dagger of this age would normally have present in this ones condition.
    Daggers not being polished is paramount on considering value not just makers marks, so for me it is just ok....I like them untouched. Also,looks like something may have been painted into the motto to darken it . Anyway other than these observations it looks it's age. Wish it had just been left alone. I am not saying you did this. If daggers posted here were judged in person by the tops in the business I think these points would have been mentioned and rated accordingly.
    Hello, I would do a little bit more in depth studying on the subject of Helbig SA dagger's before making such comments. This dagger is not only in a mint like state but it's textbook in every way for this maker. But hey....Thanks for your input on my "ok" dagger.
    Last edited by BlaineLeamon87; 07-03-2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the kind word's and input on the latest addition to the collection everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyline Drive View Post
        I disagree. This dagger has factory added extra blackening that you sometimes see on certain makers. Haenel is a good example of this. These daggers often have a special type of crossgain applied to the blade that gives the steel a "white" look that sets off the extra blackening. I have several examples of this technique that I would gladly post but I'm not a paid member. If someone wants to post the photos I can email them.

Actually, I remembered a thread on the GDC that discussed this topic and shows the daggers I am referring to: http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbth...323#Post304323
        You may shoot me an email of them I have no issues with posting your examples, I love these SA's blaine.leamon@yahoo.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X