Wehrmacht Sword Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wehrmacht Sword Question

Hello, I picked this sword up at a auction today and it has this stamp on it. Does anyone know what this stamping indicates or is it a post war addition? I've tried researching the insignia but I have found nothing. Thanks for reading and happy collecting!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John4022; 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM.

From what I see which is just a partial of the sword, it looks to be a family coat of arms (Wappen) that doesn't look recent - so just offhand my sense of it is period. FP

Comment

here's the front and the whole sword, tomorrow I can take pictures in the sunlight for more quality lighting.

Comment

Heres some better photos, I couldnt get outside for pictures because it has been raining all day. After overlooking the sword I realized the scabbard does not match the sword because the sword does not fit in all the way. It was a stupid mistake on my part because I thought something was stuck inside the scabbard keeping it from fitting inside . I paid $260 for this sword and I hope I didnt overpay. I was wondering would it be best to buy another scabbard to try and match it or should I just leave it with the current scabbard?
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks original to me, cannot find this sword in my reference. There are similar Weysberg models, the coat of arms to the reverse langet is very nice. Shame the scabbard is to short. Coat of arms may be re-searchable.
            Neil

Comment

Interesting sword, is the eagle casted into the hilt or has it been added/attached?

A coat of arms is rather unusual for a NCO-sword: most of the time, nobles were only interested in the officer grades.

Best regards,

Victorman

Comment

It's too bad about the scabbard being a replacement. I thought that it was just pulled out a little for taking the photo. That said, the noticible presence of the wings on the obverse side of the hilt suggests that it was just a part of the sword's design and cast as a part of the knuckle bow. Not having the appropriate catalog for this maker with a description, otherwise plain mounts were an option on Officer's swords in the Imperial period. With the late Weimar period purchased government pattern Officer's swords for senior NCO's being carried over into the TR era in brass with a blank langet (no eagle). And without looking into the background of the family/arms the crest doesn't seem to have some of the indicators of the higher nobility. So it perhaps it's might just be an impoverished family/individual at the time. Or a matter of personal taste for an Officer's sword? FP

Comment

An unusual sword and the coat of arms is well done. Early brass quality makes me believe it is from the mid 1930s. Had the scabbard been original to the piece I would have bid on it too. Another sword at the auction was a Lion Head Nazi piece, but it too had a mis-matched Imperial 2 ring nickel plated scabbard I felt was not original to the piece.

Comment

Eugen

Hi, could someone help me with the determination of the originality of this saber from Eickhorn Prinz Eugen. Details on the swastika appear to be blurred.

http://subotaj.rajce.idnes.cz/eugen/

Thanks for your opinion Michal

Comment

Your sword IMO is an original Prinz Eugen # 1765, however, I feel that at some point it's been regilted.

Comment

Reichsword:Thank you for your opinion. Regifted- is not original gilding?

Comment

I love the family crest and the black swastika. Cool sword!

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
                            I love the family crest and the black swastika. Cool sword!
                            Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X