M 1871/84 Saw Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M 1871/84 Saw Bayonet

This just came out of a local estate auction. It appears to be a typical model 1871/84 sawback but the barrel ring isn't the typical rework one would expect. I'm not a bayonet person and have not found anything like it online.

Can someone explain the slot style of the mounting piece? Ersatz modifcation? Export? What rifle is it supposed to fit.

Here are the specs: a KS 1871/84 Sawback Bayonet: 16” overall with 9 ¾” sawback blade marked on spine with “crown FA”(?), “93” and “crown L”, and maker “Alex Coppel Solingen” on the ricasso. Steel hilt with riveted wooden grips with an embossed “47” on one side, pommel marked with “1. 38” below slot and “crown FA”(?) mark over release button, cross guard marked “33”. Leather scabbard with metal throat piece marked “crown R" on either side of the blade slot with a metal end piece with ball.

The "93" date might be stamped over a different date. It's hard to tell if another number may have been removed to accommodate the "93". If so, perhaps it is the year of the modification...if it is a modification.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paulj; 04-13-2016, 05:11 PM.

slot
    Attached Files

Comment

This modification could be for some german trial rifles of last decade of 19.century, or the bayonet was used as a sidearm, the marking on spine speaks for bavarian acceptance 1893, anyway i would be very carefully about the sawback, should be compared on other real piece,same as the weight test could help on this.problem by this the missing barell ring. b.r.Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
        This modification could be for some german trial rifles of last decade of 19.century, or the bayonet was used as a sidearm, the marking on spine speaks for bavarian acceptance 1893, anyway i would be very carefully about the sawback, should be compared on other real piece,same as the weight test could help on this.problem by this the missing barell ring. b.r.Andy
        Experimental could be possible. Here's an interesting video of an 1893 experimental model with a special muzzle cover. It has a rail for a bayonet and although it would not accommodate the M1871/84 bayonet I have, it does show an interesting variation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-wfEd2eqg

I also thought the bayonet could have been modified for use as a tool or knife.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X