Old L-O-N-G Bayonet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old L-O-N-G Bayonet Question

Someone told me this is a Model 1898 Mauser bayonet. Due to it's condition I find it hard to believe it's circa 1898. The blade is 21 inches long (!), has no markings whatsoever, and the scabbard is a leather-covered hard shell held by what looks like a "staple" at the reverse upper and lower fitting.

Can anyone provide a history of this bayonet? I know it's a dress bayonet versus a combat piece, but what was the circa of use? Was something unique to certain units?

Thanks!

Herc
    Attached Files

Close up. It still has the red felt blade washer and slot plug...
    Attached Files

Comment

Back side of scabbard.Thanks for the help!
      Attached Files

Comment

1898 Bayonet

Your's is a M1898 n.A Prussian Seitengewehr (Bayonet). I have attached a picture of it being worn. That's all I can help you with, I have one also and mine is marked "50" on the back of the scabboard under the staple. This information and picture I got from Klaus Lubbe's book "German Sidearms and Bayonets 1740 - 1945".
        Attached Files

Comment

Herc,

Where do you come up with these nice bayonets? This one is indeed a private purchase dress version M98. I'd love to have it my collection, it looks like a textbook example. Being a private purchase it's not to unusual that it doesn't have any marks. The M98 was exported to some South American countries but I don't see any reason to think this wasn't used in Germany. They were worn up to a during WWI, being replaced mostly by the 98/05 butcher blade for service and the KS98 dress bayonet, like the saw-back you posted. I don't think any were worn after the war.

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for the info and GREAT photo! I'd like to find a frog and fringe knot for it, so if anyone out there has a knot that would be a period match for this bayo, please PM me.

I picked up this piece at a small militaria/gun show in Little Rock many many years ago. The beautiful condition and length of the blade captured my attention (and $).

Thanks again.

Herc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X