Need help identifying this dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying this dagger

I know the fire/police used this style dagger but I've never seen one with the eagle to the handle apart from the fire dress dagger but that has a wooden handle. Is this likely to be original or could it be something done after? Blade is unmarked.

Grip looks plastic to me. You occasionally see an Imperial Dress bayo or a very early HJ with wood grips but never seen a Fire bayo with one.
    My guess is the eagle is a post production addition by a zealous previous owner, when done? Who knows, but you would be hard pressed to convince anyone here it is period.
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

That's my thoughts also, especially because the eagle is raised above the handle like its stuck on rather than being built into it, because who would want to hold it with a raised eagle, wouldn't be comfortable. I know its a bayonet but just doesn't seem like something they would do from that period.
      Last edited by gooner90; 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

As we know, all original period bayonets with insignia on the grips are pinned on. Therefore, the best test is for an x-ray from the top to confirm internal pinning of insignias.
        If you have a good relationship with your dentist, he can easily do this service.
        My guess is that it is a post war application IMO.

Comment

thanks ron, it isn't mine. I've seen it for sale but don't think I'll pursue it as I haven't seen another example with the insignia like it.

Comment

As with any standard bayonet that has a grip emblem, the temptation has always been there for someone to add value to an otherwise routine item. As Ron says, if you get it x-rayed, you'll know for sure if it's period or not. I suspect the emblem was added post-1945.

What galls me is someone took an otherwise nice fire bayonet rig & ruined it IMHO.

Comment

I agree ron, that's happened to a lot of perfectly fine helmets in the past also with repaints and added decals etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X