Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting hangers etc....

Hi guys.....

While not military related these hunting related blades are another facet of interest to me, being a hunter myself.
    Enjoy. Comments always welcome.

Tony
    Attached Files
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

The top hanger is an older example. Dating it exactly is tough as there are no marks who made it. It has,a,stag grip and the blade is damascus or forge welded laminate steel. The quality of the blade while good and functional is not of the quality of later Imperial damascus by the recognized masters of the craft.

Here's some pics of the top one.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Details...
        Attached Files

Comment

The second hanger pictured also has a damascus blade.
          This hanger has a genuine ivory grip and features a full knuckle guard.
          Again, no maker mark is on this piece. It is perhaps a bit younger than the previous example shown. But please don't take that as gospel truth as I do not know for certain.
          Attached Files

Comment

Close up views...
            Attached Files

Comment

IDetails...

In the upper image you can clearly see where the blade smith lap welded the damascus blade to a lesser iron or plain steel ricasso and hilt. This is often seen where the smith prefered to lengthen the over all length of the blade by using less costly material instead of using more labor intensive damascus where it wasn't practically needed.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tiger 1; 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Lastly. Here's a hand forged, according to the info on the ricasso, Puma hunting knife.
                Apparently a hungry mouse feast on the scabbard leather and left the blade exposed to corrosion.
                the silver plaque in the stag grip is missing. This one is a prewar example as far as I am able to determine. The blade is carbon steel.
                Any help to date this piece would be greatly appreciated.
                Attached Files

Comment

More views...
                  Attached Files

Comment

A few more...
                    Attached Files

Comment

The blade...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kind of surprised no one commented on this old stuff.

A slow week I suppose....I know, I'll get the old dremel out and put a few of swastikas on them. That should do the trick.

Just kidding. I probably should of identified them better in the thread starter description.

Tony

Comment

Hey Tiger, how are ya! I like these hunting pieces and agree that the first two are older and likely from the 1800's. The Puma is very cool and I like these practical "Standhauers" like this, even though I believe it to be a early post war piece from the 50's. Well done! Kevin.

Comment

Nice old Hunting pieces.. Many of the (older blades) 1850s ballpark back.. Started life generally as high polished blades.. But over the years they have corroded etc..when given the acid treatment as the below two hunting pieces have the (damascus type ) pattern comes out... There are many Early blades originally sold as high polished blades etc that I have seen now being sold as (damascus ) blades after the old acid treatment..... Because these early blades were all all hand forged and the steel was not as refined yet you have this type of pattern on all early blades under the polish...
                            The little dirty secret of ( early) blade collecting..
                            There all have a faint pattern welded type pattern underneath the polish..
                            Last edited by damasco; 09-12-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

James,

Thanks. I have seen the faint damascus pattern on older polished blades as you mentioned. I have also seen them in various stages of corrosion and repolish or cleaned. The two older blades above were 'cleaned' by someone with good intentions but a very serious lack of knowledge or technical technique. One was badly sanded and wire brushed, while the other one was wonderfully blackened and crusty where the rust and corrosion was set in place with a liquid rust remover.
                              They deserved to be rescuded from history's junk pile. At least they are somewhat presentable now

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X