SS Dagger w/ Knot authentication help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger w/ Knot authentication help!

Hello this dagger is being offered locally, and I am trying to determine if I should pick it up. I have never owned a proper German dagger, so I could use a little help before paying the amount the seller is asking (quite a bit).

The blade is in poor shape as the images provide, so any help on what a fair collector-to-collector price would be would also be vary helpful. Assuming its even real of course.

Please don't even pay 20$ for it. It's fake all the way.
    It's just another fake Spanish wanna be SS dagger.

For me the give away is Always the eagle. The underside of the wings should
    be nicely rounded. These wings are squared. And then there's the SS-button on top of the grip. These should have emaile. This one hasn't.
    It's garbage.
    What is the seller asking for this?

Kris

Comment

Yes, and because I saw enough with the grip eagle and SS-button, I even didn't looked further. But it has the SA-motto 'Alles Für Deutschland' on the blade.
      SS-daggers only have 'Meine Ehre Heisst Treue' etched in the blade without any exceptions!

Please do yourself a big favor and say 'Thanks but no thanks' to the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by krikke1980 View Post
        Please don't even pay 20$ for it. It's fake all the way.
        It's just another fake Spanish wanna be SS dagger.

For me the give away is Always the eagle. The underside of the wings should
        be nicely rounded. These wings are squared. And then there's the SS-button on top of the grip. These should have emaile. This one hasn't.
        It's garbage.
        What is the seller asking for this?

Kris
        He was asking $1500, so I'm definitely glad I asked for help first this time!

Comment

No problem. You sure did good to post first.
          You should Always post first. And in the meanwhile when you're searching
          for a Original SS-dagger, please do some research first.
          These forums have enough material for doing research.
          And then there are offcourse some very interesting books which are
          expensive but worthy to buy because of the tons of information that's in it.

1500$???????????? He should be ashamed. He probably knows it's a fake.
          Or maybe he was ripped of in the past aswell.

Comment

I definitely should read up some more on German bladed items. I have been mostly collecting medals and the like, but I'm trying to expand my knowledge-base.

The person selling the dagger had titled it "SS Hitler Youth knife", so I was a little wary of it from the beginning! Although I have found a number of nice original items from sellers misidentifying them in the past, so I always take a second look.

Comment

Do we really need to keep seeing these very bad copies
              Before posting a dagger surely a quick google search would tell the poster that the dagger was bad and not worth posting?

Comment

I apologize if I offended you with the post, I simply do not have the luxury of handling original daggers on a regular basis. The item, while likely obviously fake to a knowledgeable blades collector, was realistic enough to have a newbie dagger collector like me ask for help.

Sadly a lot of the information available online about these items is also fabricated/wrong, and it makes quick self-authentication difficult. That said, I'll try to post better content in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                  Do we really need to keep seeing these very bad copies
                  Before posting a dagger surely a quick google search would tell the poster that the dagger was bad and not worth posting?
                  also using the search function here on waf will give great insight on subjects like this.........dave

Comment

I wasn't trying to be rude just pointing out its very easy to spot these fakes with a little bit of research .and as Dave says with a quick search of this forum you will find examples of this dagger
                    I believe another was posted only a few days ago
                    Luckily fake Ss daggers are still easy to spot
                    Although mass produced these daggers were a quality item these fakes are anything but

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                      I wasn't trying to be rude just pointing out its very easy to spot these fakes with a little bit of research .and as Dave says with a quick search of this forum you will find examples of this dagger
                      I believe another was posted only a few days ago
                      Luckily fake Ss daggers are still easy to spot
                      Although mass produced these daggers were a quality item these fakes are anything but
                      Its all good, I know that sometimes the unpersonal nature of the internet can make tone difficult to distinguish. Both you and Dave do have a point though, I'll make sure to do a little homework before posting next time! This forum is a great asset for researching in this hobby, and I am learning every day how to better utilize it effectively.

Comment

using the search function here,i believe,is like sitting in a huge library with every book ever written on militaria,especially tr,at your finger tips.there is info here you won't find in books and for the most part is more reliable.i believe there are people here that could look at a pilots badge across the show floor and tell you the maker.may be going a little over board but you get the idea.i must mention you did the right thing by posting first before taking the dive.................dave

Comment

P.S. - I'm pretty sure that portepee is fake as well.
                          (Besides not belonging on that "dagger.")

DTS

Comment

Originally posted by Carthin View Post
                            Its all good, I know that sometimes the unpersonal nature of the internet can make tone difficult to distinguish. Both you and Dave do have a point though, I'll make sure to do a little homework before posting next time! This forum is a great asset for researching in this hobby, and I am learning every day how to better utilize it effectively.
                            Don't worry about asking about a item that's what this forum is partly for. We all need to ask questions from time to time. And the only way to know for sure is to ask someone who has the experiance to tell you so. If other members don't feel like the question is worth asking let them pass the thread up. Some people act like they are to cool to comment on a easily spotted fake. Please don't let there attitudes turn you off to this forum. There are plenty of members who don't mind helping a new collector out. I'm one of them and there are plenty more besides myself who will be glad to help you.

Comment

I was not trying to put anyone off I was just pointing out we keep seeing the same
                              Fake daggers posted for opinions when all it takes is a quick search of this forum or the net to ascertain if they are genuine or not
                              It's quicker to do this then posting the photos and waiting for an answer
                              From a forum member

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X