scabbard repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scabbard repaint

Wondering if there are any suggestions on how to determine if scabbard paint is original, or a post war repaint?

Often original paint will exhibit "spidering" which looks something like spider web in the paint. It's not always there, but I consider it a good sign.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

many scabbards doesnt show any spidering, I guess they used different types of color, some better than others. I think its possible to determine if old or not, but its no easy. A color test would work, but expensive to do.

Comment

many scabbards doesnt show any spidering, I guess they used different types of color, some better than others. I think its possible to determine if old or not, but its no easy. A color test would work, but expensive to do.

Comment

This might sound silly, but you can usually smell a repaint if it's relatively new. New paints will give off a particular smell that is, I believe, a result of particulate evaporation of some of the chemicals in modern paints. Of course, this won't help you spot older repaints. You can also inspect the area around the scabbard fittings. Often, repainted scabbards can be spotted by globby-paint that bunches up adjacent to scabbard fittings. Finally, if you see paint chips that reveal metal that has not aged and rusted, that is a bad sign. Of course, such evidence is easily masked by clever restoration fraudsters. The best way to tell repaints, though, is to become familiar with period paintjobs. The more you handle, the more obvious the repaints become.

Comment

Great question. One thing I would add is to look at the wear. If the repaint has no wear at all I would be suspect it's postwar. Period repaints often display chips and abraisons that are consisent with wear. Without these one should consider very hard if it was done in the period.
            www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

post a pic of it!

Comment

Regarding wear, don't be afraid of a paintjob that is seemingly too perfect - just be sure the rest of the piece is consistent with respect to condition - perfect paint should find perfect blades, wood, etc. It is very difficult, in summary, to spot an old "post-war" repaint - only recent ones stick out, and then, only if they are not done well.

Comment

Another thing that works (that I have used in the past) is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some of those "disposable lead paint testers" for your house. WWII era paint should contain lead and its lack of lead could indicate that it has been repainted in the last 10 years. Just a suggestion.

Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X