Christmas dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas dagger

Well it is finaly here! My wife bought it for me for Christmas and now its here.
    The scabbard screw seems to be on the wrong side, but it is factory original. Anybody else have one like this?
    Attached Files

the back
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh, did I mention that its engraved?
      Attached Files

Comment

What is the first step I would take to see about finding out who this officer was? Any help or tips are welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

JasonS
        Attached Files

Comment

So does anybody else have a dagger with the screw on the wrong side of the scabbard? Any info as to how to research this daggers original owner?

Thanks

JasonS

Comment

I checked my daggers and Witmann's Army book but didn't see any daggers with the center screw on the front of the scabbard. Could be that the scabbard rings were just put on backwards.

As for researching the owner, it will be no easy feat with just initials. You might check out the Army Ranklists (sorry, not sure who might have copies available)just to see how common those particular initials were, but without something else to go on, no one is more likely than any other to have been your guy.

I leave my research to Rob McDivitt...he can do wonders! You can contact him at:
            rmcdivittjr@yahoo.com

Good luck,
            Skip

Comment

Thanks Skipper for the help. The wife bought this for me from Witmann so I am confident as to originality. Any idea as to the year of manufacture? I see that this can be done by type of cross guard and makers logo, but I am still trying to figure it out.

Thanks again.

JasonS

Comment

Scabbard Bands

MOST OF THE TIME, the scabbard bands are press-applied on the scabbard and, over the years, become loose and can be slipped down over the end and reversed by someone. You might try to push them downward and off and reverse them to put the screw on the backside of the scabbard. This is probably how the screw was moved from the back of the scabbard to the front.
                Ron Weinand
                Weinand Militaria

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand
                  MOST OF THE TIME, the scabbard bands are press-applied on the scabbard and, over the years, become loose and can be slipped down over the end and reversed by someone. You might try to push them downward and off and reverse them to put the screw on the backside of the scabbard. This is probably how the screw was moved from the back of the scabbard to the front.
                  Ron Weinand
                  Weinand Militaria
                  AH HA! You are correct sir, I did just as you mentioned and it worked great. The screw is now in the proper place and with no scuffing or any other marks. Thank you Mr. Weinand.

Thanks again guys for all the help and comments.

JasonS

Comment

I got a nice set of hangers from fellow member JR. yesterday. I will post pictures later.

JasonS

Comment

As promised some scans of the hangers.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Back of hangers
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again to JR. for selling me these hangers and the flawless transaction. Now to save up for a portepee .

JasonS
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, the dagger is now complete. I bought a mint portapee from JR. (thanks again mate!) and I think I attached it right. Please let me know if it is wrong

Here is my first Heer dagger in all its glory!

Thanks for looking and any comments.

JasonS

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X