Scabbard makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scabbard makes

No pictures, just a question. Is there a way to tell if the scabbard is original to a dagger? patina, coloring would be my obvious notices but, any maker differences. I'm specifically looking at a nice KM dagger, adding a nicer scabbard to it... Or is that to be avoided?
    Thanks for helping a new collector out
    Mark

On SS and SA daggers, yes, you can tell. For the one you have I can not honestly say, I don't have enough experience on them, would guess that there are small tells per manufacturer as on the SS and SA.

Comment

I would save your money and buy a complete piece from a trusted source. Playing match maker can cost you in the long run. 70% oh the value is in the bade but if there is any doubt that it was put together it will hurt your pocket. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by truman23 View Post
        I would save your money and buy a complete piece from a trusted source. Playing match maker can cost you in the long run. 70% oh the value is in the bade but if there is any doubt that it was put together it will hurt your pocket. Just my humble opinion.
        Alot of truth in this statement !

Comment

There are lots of differences on KM daggers, each company has their own design of leaf bands on the scabbard and these designs can even vary within the same company depending on the year it was manufactured. The butt plates on the dagger and scabbard should normally match in width, thickness and patina, so unless you can match all of this and the correct maker mark on the blade which also varies over the years to the scabbard then you will be able to tell.

Comment

How the throat of the scabbard fits the lower crossguard is another way on SS and SA daggers.

Comment

Scabbard

Great input , thank you for your expertise on this

Comment

Great guidance and advice from Truman23, as expanded by Bulldog...I agree completely!

Good to have you with us. Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X