Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henckels Army dagger w/ pack fittings

Hello all,

Do I have the forum's blessing on this one? I would be purchasing this for my personal collection if there are no red flags. I am not a dagger guy and if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary I would appreciate you letting me know.

William Kramer
    Attached Files
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It has a generic A crossguard and a Eickhorn scabbard. Not a dagger for my collection.

Danny

Comment

I agree with Danny.

Crossguard and ferule are generic type A, Henckels Solingen blade, and Eickhorn 4. type scabbard - strange.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

If the patina all matches I don't see a problem with it, who knows what parts Henckles bought at any specific time, I'm sure there will be others that do not like it because they haven't seen this combination before but it's to easy to dismiss something because the parts don't seem to match, if your not happy with it yourself then don't buy it but Henckles used parts from other manufacturers all the time.

Gary

Comment

I agree Gary I think a little knowledge has trashed I lot of good daggers

Comment

I like it and agree with the last couple posts............It's a beauty and I'd buy it too

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                  I agree Gary I think a little knowledge has trashed I lot of good daggers
                  I specialize in army daggers and was just giving my opinion. Using the words "a little knowledge" is not really necessary and rather disrespectfull.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by dr01 View Post
                    I specialize in army daggers and was just giving my opinion. Using the words "a little knowledge" is not really necessary and rather disrespectfull.

Danny
                    I don't think so at all. Many feel if it's IN THE BOOK that's all there is to it .............Well it just ain't so !
                    I have said for some time certain reference books that many of us rely on have needed an addendum for some time to many new finds and new info. found thru the years .

Comment

You are right Ed, if it's not in a referencebook it doesn't mean that a dagger isn't original. It's also a known fact that there are quite a few mistakes in the referencebooks.

But you also know that it's quite easy to switch parts of army daggers. If the price for a good one was $50 I wouldn't worry about that too much but when we are talking $500 and up, that's a different story. Especially when you would like to be able to sell the dagger in the future. Many collectors would agree that it's a lot easier to sell a textbook dagger than a non-textbook example. I think it's only fair to inform new collectors who spend their hard earned cash on a dagger about this.

Just looking at matching patina is a very simple way to look at a dagger. As an experienced collector you probably know that patina can be altered.

Danny

Comment

Danny

OK then, what would be the right combination for this dagger? Henckels did not produced its own fittings. Can you show any documents that support your theory?

Comment

You are right Ed, if it's not in a referencebook it doesn't mean that a dagger isn't original. It's also a known fact that there are quite a few mistakes in the referencebooks.

But you also know that it's quite easy to switch parts of army daggers. If the price for a good one was $50 I wouldn't worry about that too much but when we are talking $500 and up, that's a different story. Especially when you would like to be able to sell the dagger in the future. Many collectors would agree that it's a lot easier to sell a textbook dagger than a non-textbook example. I think it's only fair to inform new collectors who spend their hard earned cash on a dagger about this.

Just looking at matching patina is a very simple way to look at a dagger. As an experienced collector you probably know that patina can be altered.

Danny
                          1+

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

Danny
                            I wasn't commenting on your knowledge I as referring to the knowledge books and websites give that isn't always the whole story and the use of this knowledge to trashes good daggers
                            Nick

Comment

Danny
                              In this post you agree with ed and myself
                              A little knowledge gleamed can be a dangerous thing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X