complete E. & F. Horster dagger, opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

complete E. & F. Horster dagger, opinions please

hey Guys. its Glenn. I would like to know yor opinions on what this puppy is worth. I might want to sell it off to purchase another piece but only if I like what I hear would be a fair market value. I will describe it honestly as one would see it with his own eyes. because ofcourse if I do sell it I will be giving an
    inspection period to make sure the party is happy with it. here goes;

HANGERS; I would rank them a strong 8 out of a 10. no fraying, tears, rips, ect. springs work very well. most of the finish on metal remains. no maker marks

PORTEPEE; ranks a 6 out of a 10. typical fraying in usual areas.

SCABBARD; scabbard in in very nice shape. no dings, scratches, ect. unfortunatly much of the finish is worn away. but it is definatly in vg shape.

DAGGER; I guess this is the make/ break of the whole deal. ehh? youll have to excuse my terminology, I dont know some of the names of the various parts of the dagger. but Im sure youll get the gist of it. the top part (head cap) is in good shape. no dings/ dents. good "patina"? is that the right word? the pommel? (hand grip) does have one 1/4" chip out of it located on the reverse of the grip. grip is evenly colored and other than that stated looks very nice. the crossgaurd retains about 80+% of its finish and has no dings/dents. eagle/ insignia look nice. no "smushed" area's.it still has its original rubber gasket located under the crossguard. now for the blade. it has a very nice stamp of the maker. very minor pitting, one little chip and the point is minutely blemished. I think one could actually rub out the tip and make it perfect without any trouble. I dont know if these blades can be "cleaned up" but if they can I'm sure it would look a hell of alot better. any suggestions of how to clean the blade? I would rate the blade itself as a definate 8 but as I said, hopefully with the correct cleaning it would become even better.

so there it is. please let me know your thoughts on pricing this piece and if you have any "cleaning" tips I would appreciate those also for I have other daggers in my collection which I will never sell off. ofcourse this one I wouldnt touch, that would be up to the new owner. (if there is to be one). hope to hear from you Guys. thanks, Glenn
    Attached Files

another
    Attached Files

Comment

again
      Attached Files

Comment

one more
        Attached Files

Comment

another one
          Attached Files

Comment

lets do another
            Attached Files

Comment

some more
              Attached Files

Comment

last one
                Attached Files

Comment

A couple things I can point out that might help determine value. The photos are not that clear, so need a closer shot of the blade. But based on what I see, it is in OK condition and might bring down value some.

Would also need to see the hangers up close. They look really silver, like a repaint, but could just be extra thick paint. Could be the photo, but the fabric on the back does not match the condition of the metal fittings.

A close up of the eagle is important as damage must be checked and also see if it conforms.

Hope that helps.
                  Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

unfortunatly those are the best shots I can take. I'll probably just hold on to it till I go to the MAX show next year and then upgrade or trade it away. I dont want someone buying it to be expecting more than what it is. pics can sometimes bend reality. I'm not saying this piece is rough. its in nice shape but I certainly wouldnt say its "primo". I think a person to person inspection would ease both parties. I dont like ill feelings twords me. but thanks for your comments. Glenn

Comment

I agree, with some items it is best to do a hands on. Uniforms and daggers come to mind. Good photos go a long ways though. See you MAX.
                      Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X