Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Knife Post War?

Hi,

I have this for awhile. I don't think it was made to fool anybody. Did they make these for returning GI's for souveniers? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Del
    Attached Files

HJ Knife Post War?

Pic 3 & 4
    Attached Files

Comment

HJ Knife Post War?

Pic 5 & 6
      Attached Files

Comment

HJ Knife Post War?

Pic 7 & 8
        Attached Files

Comment

HJ Knife Post War?

last pic
          Attached Files

Comment

An obvious post war piece.

I do not believe it was made to be a souvenir for GI's if that was the case it I assume it wouldn't have export marks such as "made in germany" I also fell as though it would have been made to closer resemble period pieces. For example the SA's that were made in Solingen to provide souvenirs for Vet's returning home immediately following the war in the 1945-1950 period looked more the part.

Comment

Not made for vets back then, but for the early collectors of the 60's.

The rule for me is when you see Germany,and made in Germany, its an export piece....and by the way these type solid red enameled hj emblems used in this knife (from the 60's, more than likely) the 60's and is one of the reasons why many doubted the solid enameled hj pins that were later found to be authentic having solid and not the transparent red most often encountered enamel .
              But you're correct...no cigar on this one....I have heard ...(some collectors claim)they made some with left over blade blanks found unfinished made during the war(old stock) (this I can't verify for sure...)to make some of the early post war versions during the first generation collector of the TR hobby, but for sure who ever made them, had the dies or could just as easy make new blades or new dies . Today this one may still be worth 25-50 usd to someone.

Comment

I do believe the DJ dagger is something that was made in the 45-50 period with leftover "camp style" civilian knifes and an HJ pin glued to the scabbard for GI's.

Comment

I think its more of a modern one than GI souvenir piece.
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Could have been produced last year by the looks of it, the diamond insignia in these modern types are made of plastic not enamel like the genuine solid reds imo, is the diamond glued into place or does it have movement at all ?

Regards Mac 66.

Comment

Looks to me like a post war scout knife that someone glued a diamond in. JMO

Comment

FEW red flags, 1st, the rim on the throat of the scabbard is a BIG no no. Second, any thing on a dagger that say"s Germany like on the ricasso on this piece, bad. And on the leather strap "Made In Germany", never a good sign. I'm not up to speed on my HJ diamonds but Mac 66 sounds like he knows what he's talking about. This piece would make a great knife to butter your toast. 1960's would be my guess.

Comment

Post war, completly.
                          Blade stamps, scrabberd and even the grips! Inlay of the raute in the grip is wrong.
                          Maby the raute org? (I self are not a believer on the solid red raute discussion!)

Comment

HJ Knife Post War

Of course I knew that this HJ knife was not a period piece. The reason I put the ? was because I thought it may have been made just after the war because it was stamped made in Germany & not West Germany. I did not butter my bread with it yet! It is probably one of those pieces that were for sale in the magazines back in the 50's or 60's.

Thanks for the replies.

Del

Comment

PIC marked pieces were produced post war in the early 1950s for sale in Army Navy Stores in the US. Blades were left over German stock. PIC also made a three blade throwing knife set in a light brown leather sheath from left over SA blade stock where the blades were reduced in size and the handles were the back part of the blade and shaved down and painted red-blue-green for the three different colored metal painted grips. Total length was around 6 inches. I had a set of these when I was a kid from our local Army Navy store. All marked PIC.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X