Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something just a bit different for your New Years viewing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to the interest of this thread I would like to comment that the provenance of this model dagger was debated at considerable length in the pages of the Max Gazette; four issues from 1991 through 1992 contained major articles, with a final contribution in 1997. The debate was triggered by an assertion in a Roger Steffen Auction catalogue that the early reference books were wrong; the auction presented the dagger as being a German Reichstag Political Dagger, not Latvian at all!
    Contributions to that long ago debate were made directly by, Tom Johnson, Bob Moses, Kurt Glemser, Fred Stephens, also indirectly by Tom Wittmann and Ron Weinand. Numerous collectors letters were published and the Editor attempted a summary, but the argument rumbled on.This debate took place in the pre-internet forum era when speed of argument and counter-argument were limited to the then quarterly publishing schedule of the magazine, therefore the participants had several weeks to prepare their respective responses and supporting evidence.
    Documentary evidence provided by the several contributors argued that variations of this dagger were made by Eickhorn and Hoerster, were designated for Latvian service, but were also freely available in the 1930's for private purchase. Accounts were also given of these daggers being obtained from US veterans, suggesting some daggers might have been purchased as unofficial gifts/awards.
    It was, imho, a quality debate and a worthy forerunner of our present day internet forums.

Comment

So it was considered some sort of TR authorized issue by some big names back in the 90s. I would still like to know - are there any for sale, and what is the price?

Comment

Jim & Bob over at World Daggers have a Latvian dagger where inquiries are welcome.
        http://www.worlddaggers.com/engine/i...Filter=Gallery

Comment

Latvian

Here is an example which turned up "Down Under" probably in the early 1970's from memory. It had Eickhorn markings on both sides of the blade.
          Attached Files

Comment

Maker marks

Original photos are pre-digital by the way ... hence the poorer quality.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by F J STEPHENS View Post
              Gentlemen,

The dagger pattern was most certainly produced by at least two companies; Carl Eickhorn, and E. u. F. Horster.

The example shown is particularly interesting in that the Eickhorn trademark (the name Carl Eickhorn in an arc over the word Solingen) is the version of the company trademark which was used in the 1880s (later replaced by the Eickhorn emblem of two squirrels back-to-back, in a design that was registered in 1906).

Frederick J. Stephens
              Hello Fred...

Good to see your input here.

You are correct in that both Eickhorn and Horster firms did a fair amount of business in the Baltics during the interwar years, 1920 - 1940. This was when the Baltic Republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuanua were independent nations with traditional iconography that was represented in their military decorations, uniforms and accuotrements.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that the arched Eickhorn trademark over a horizontal Solingen location is from circa 1880s. That may be true, but this trademark was certainly in use on WWI era 98-05 bayonets. I will post a picture of an example from my collection when I can dig it out of the safe and take some pics.

Horster used a similar arched name over Solingen tradenark on their export sabers that were purchased by the interwar Lithuanian government.

Just a few thoughts to add to this very interesting thread.

All the best.

Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Before I forget...... Great dagger there Paul!
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks there is some talk that these came w an ivory grip. Mine is celluloid.
                  www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Latvian dagger

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your feedback – it is always interesting to see the input, and inevitably to learn more.

My information about the early Eickhorn mark came from Tony Carter (“Sword and Knife Makers of Germany 1850-2000”), and he shows several versions of this mark from the 1880s onwards. These versions included the name formed in an acute arc (virtually a semi-circle, as shown on Paul’s dagger, and also on Monty’s submission – thanks Monty !) The formation of the lettering is in block capitals.

The use of the acute curve mark was also featured on Seitengewehr 98/05 bayonets, prior to the introduction of the back-to-back squirrel emblem in 1906. However, I have re-checked Tony’s book, and noted that he also states that a version of the curved name Eickhorn trademark was also used on German S 98/05 bayonets produced during 1915-18. So it does seem that more than one variation of the trademark was used concurrently when another version was also in use.

To return to the Latvian dagger, the image provided by Monty shows the acute curved name trademark on one side of the blade, and the latterly introduced Eickhorn squirrel mark, over the letters C.E. within the simple line oval (registered by Eickhorn, December, 1920 – Carter, main text, page 129).

It is curious that both versions should be used at the same time on the same piece, but I have a suggestion which might account for this: It is possible that the new form trademark was not instantly recognisable as an Eickhorn mark to customers in the export markets – so the additional feature of the trademark in block letters was included to firmly identify the piece.

I have a photo of the Eickhorn Catalogue for Latvia (dated November, 1930) – the page showing the striking Administrators’ Dagger, and also the Latvian Navy Dagger (based on the Model 1922 Russian Navy Dagger, I believe). I will ask a colleague to post them here for me, as I am currently unable to do this.

Frederick J. Stephens

Comment

Originally posted by F J STEPHENS View Post
                      Hi Tony,

Thanks for your feedback – it is always interesting to see the input, and inevitably to learn more.

My information about the early Eickhorn mark came from Tony Carter (“Sword and Knife Makers of Germany 1850-2000”), and he shows several versions of this mark from the 1880s onwards. These versions included the name formed in an acute arc (virtually a semi-circle, as shown on Paul’s dagger, and also on Monty’s submission – thanks Monty !) The formation of the lettering is in block capitals.

The use of the acute curve mark was also featured on Seitengewehr 98/05 bayonets, prior to the introduction of the back-to-back squirrel emblem in 1906. However, I have re-checked Tony’s book, and noted that he also states that a version of the curved name Eickhorn trademark was also used on German S 98/05 bayonets produced during 1915-18. So it does seem that more than one variation of the trademark was used concurrently when another version was also in use.

To return to the Latvian dagger, the image provided by Monty shows the acute curved name trademark on one side of the blade, and the latterly introduced Eickhorn squirrel mark, over the letters C.E. within the simple line oval (registered by Eickhorn, December, 1920 – Carter, main text, page 129).

It is curious that both versions should be used at the same time on the same piece, but I have a suggestion which might account for this: It is possible that the new form trademark was not instantly recognisable as an Eickhorn mark to customers in the export markets – so the additional feature of the trademark in block letters was included to firmly identify the piece.

I have a photo of the Eickhorn Catalogue for Latvia (dated November, 1930) – the page showing the striking Administrators’ Dagger, and also the Latvian Navy Dagger (based on the Model 1922 Russian Navy Dagger, I believe). I will ask a colleague to post them here for me, as I am currently unable to do this.

Frederick J. Stephens
                      Catalogue page posted here for Fred Stephens.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Posting pictures from DenHonordagger.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More pictures from Den. Latvian navy.
                          Attached Files

Comment

From Den (ex Latvian militery forum)
                            Attached Files

Comment

From Den, TMs'
                              Attached Files

Comment

Two more TM pix, from Den.

The in wear pictures and line drawings from Latvian Military Forum, the daggers from a private collection in the Ukraine.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X