MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need opinions on SA Dagger and Luft Dagger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinions on SA Dagger and Luft Dagger.

Hey guys. I need some opinions on these two daggers. The SA Dagger looks good to me but just a little beat up. I'm not sure what price I should go with on this for an offer. The luft dagger looks good except the scabbard is way darker than the attachment holders around it. Opinions would be great on this. I'm thinking they are the aluminum type with maybe the scabbard being steel? Again, I'm not versed in daggers yet so please excuse my ignorance. I'm working on it though. I know the pics aren't the best, but this is all I have at the moment. Thanks again guys!
    Attached Files

SA dagger lokks like early type, with repainted scabbard.
    Luftwaffe dagger portepee looks like original.
    But from these two photos, is difficult to conclude anything.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi
    Last edited by Schlange; 12-31-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I'm going to get more pictures when I go there tonight. I know these weren't the best pictures, but they are the only thing I have right now. Once I post more, that should help out a lot. I'm glad to hear that the SA looks to be original though!

Comment

Looks like an auction? Wouldn't hold out too much hope of a reasonable price and given the condition...
        ------------------------------------------------
        Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

The Luft dagger appears to be original as well. The dark scabbard and lighter colored bands is not uncommon. The scabbard most likely had a silvered finish which has tarnished while the scabbard bands are aluminum (as you noted) so they have not tarnished. However, as Schlange noted, better pictures are needed to know for sure if it is original.

Comment

Definitely get better pics for a more detailed & accurate analysis. If the daggers are being sold off at an auction, don't give into temptation & overbid. Many decent & period pieces are obtained by collectors at auctions but a lot of guys get caught in the moment & pay too much. Also, don't forget the addition of a buyer's premium & possibly sales tax.

Comment

it is an auction. As noted I don't want to get caught up in the moment. I'm going to leave here shortly to go get more pictures and wait out in the crowd for the auction to start. I just need to know a good ending point so I don't overpay for the daggers. I really do appreciate the help though and I'm glad to hear the lift scabbard has the potential to be original

Comment

Hope you had good luck. Very curious to know what both pieces went for. Let us know.

Comment

SA Dagger went for $425 and the Luft Dagger went for $300 I think or $325. I didn't want to pay that for either of them because their condition was poor. I did walk away with a few nice items. I'll be listing some soon on the eStand to help make up for a purchase

Comment

Good for you for walking away. Even at those prices, whomever purchased them, well its gonna be theirs for many years to come. One of the very first things I was taught as a new collector, there are three aspects one needs to zero in on. The three aspects are condition, condition and condition. Those two pieces were a little short on all three. Again wise decision!!

Comment

I thought it to be a wise decision too. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an SA Dagger or a Luft Dagger for the collection, but I'd love to get one. If I were to end up buying those two, lets just say for around $200 or so, I would've bought them and kept them for a bit. After that time had passed I would've sold them to a beginning collector for around the same price. But they went for way more than what I wanted to pay.
                      The SA dagger was in good shape physically speaking. It was just old and the nickle plating was coming off.... and to my knowledge, there isn't really a way on how to stop that. So it was going downhill fast. The Luft dagger, that had seen better days.

Comment

You will one day have both of these type daggers in your collection. Just please don't be in a hurry. Because from experience, you will end up just simply upgrading. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt!! I wish I would of had a tool like the WAF 15 years ago when I started collecting. Would probably have enough for a couple chained NSKK daggers. Good luck hunting and look forward to future pics of your newly found treasures>

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X