EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS scabbard question (different lengths???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS scabbard question (different lengths???)

I have two SS scabbards. One anodized with nickel fittings, one period repaint over anodized with nickel fittings. But here is my question. The overall lengths are about 6mm difference. One does have a bit of a smooshed ball on the end, but I can't see that it would account for that much difference.

The repaint measures overall right at about 252mm
    the anodized measures overall right at about 246mm

on the repaint, from the tip of the upper point of the bottom chape to the upper arc of the top fitting it measures 162mm
    on the anodized it measures 157mm

are both real? is one correct and one fake or are there differences in overall length on scabbards. Which is correct for which dagger series?

Thanks for all the help, still learning and find this forum to be invaluable and truthfully, am amazed at the depth of knowledge people have.

David

possilby just a difference in manufacture of the parts, the upper fitting, lower etc. These can vary in many ways it seems.

Comment

Thank you, I kinda wondered if that could be the case, both have wear characteristics of old pieces, but honestly I just didn't know if there was a hard a fast rule that X must be specifically Y length or such. I really notice a difference in placement of the screws on the top fitting, the anodized are placed far higher on the scabbard fitting than the painted one (have taken neither apart yet, bit timid to do that).

Thanks for the reply and if any one else has an opinion, I would welcome both good and bad comments. I have a lot to learn and far as I can tell, between this forum and good reference books, well that looks like my best path.

David

Comment

Some dimensions on an SS dagger must be fairly constant but the scabbards have quite a bit of variation in length due to different design characteristics . I think one of the old Johnson books talks about this and Illustrates this point if Im not mistaken . I would not be concerned .

Comment

Thanks again, I really really do appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
            Some dimensions on an SS dagger must be fairly constant but the scabbards have quite a bit of variation in length due to different design characteristics . I think one of the old Johnson books talks about this and Illustrates this point if Im not mistaken . I would not be concerned .
            Right!
            i checked all my stuff and all,except two 807,have the same length. +/- depending on the condition of the lower ball.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X