Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Peterburs' War Souvenir Sword

Joe,

I hope you don't mind, but I felt like the wonderful pictures you sent today along with the details on how this sword was acquired is deserving of a new thread so everyone will have the opportunity to see it and read your story.

Joe would never admit it, but he is a true hero, and men like himself are the reasons we all enjoy the freedoms we possess today. A heartfelt THANK YOU to Joe Peterburs for his service and sacrifice!

Joe sent me greater resolution images than I was able to post here due to size restrictions. If you would like to see these, please PM me with your email address.

OK...Here's Joe's account of how this fascinating edged weapon was acquired:

I WAS SHOT DOWN ON MY 49TH MISSION STRAFING AN AIRFIELD NEAR BERLIN ON 10 APRIL 1945 AND ENDED UP IN STALAG III (LUCKENWALDE) WHERE MOST OF THE PRISONERS WERE RUSSIAN. I ESCAPED AFTER ABOUT A WEEK AND GOT WITH A RUSSIAN TANK UNIT THAT WAS ON IT’S WAY WITTENBERG ON ELBE. WE FOUGHT THE GERMANS ALONG THE ROUTE AND AFTER A COUPLE DAYS OF FIGHTING AT WITTENBERG THE GERMANS CAVED.

AN AMERICAN INFANTRY SQUAD CROSSED ELBE TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE RUSSIANS AND I WENT BACK WITH THEM. THEY WERE STATIONED AT HALLE AND WERE DOING MOP UP OPERATIONS. THE ARMY HAD TOLD THE GERMANS TO PILE ALL THEIR WEAPONS IN THE TOWN SQUARE AND IT WAS WHILE WE WERE GOING THROUGH ONE OF THE SMALL TOWNS IN THE AREA THAT I PICKED UP MY SWORD AND OTHER SOUVENIRS INCLUDING SEVERAL GUNS THAT THE ARMY GUYS SWINDLED ME OUT OF PLAYING POKER. AFTER A FEW DAYS WITH THE ARMY I TOOK OFF ON MY OWN. AFTER A COUPLE HOURS OF HICKING ACROSS THE GERMAN COUNTRYSIDE I CAME ACROSS A C-47 IN AN OPEN FIELD PICKING UP POLITICAL PRISONERS (DRESSED IN THE INFAMOUS STRIPED CLOTHING). I TALKED TO THE PILOT AND BUMBED A RIDE EVENTUALLY ENDING UP IN PARIS WHERE I WAS SUMMARILY DELOUSED AND PLACED UNDER CONTROL...

May God bless men like Joe Peterburs! Take a moment to tell him thank you while we still can!

Good collecting and God bless,

William

Hilt Close Up

Attached Files

Comment

Hilt reverse

Attached Files

Comment

Blade

Attached Files

Comment

A super unique piece. I've never seen anything even similar. Is it actually sword sized or more along the size of a dagger?
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Joe Peterburs Sword

Originally posted by Larry Lipps
            A super unique piece. I've never seen anything even similar. Is it actually sword sized or more along the size of a dagger?
            The overall length is 22 inches, the blade length is 16 1/4 inches.

Comment

William, thanks for posting these pic's.....

Joe, thanks for sharing your story with us.
              Regards
              Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Fantastic, how much would it be worth

Comment

Originally posted by William J
                  Joe,

I hope you don't mind, but I felt like the wonderful pictures you sent today along with the details on how this sword was acquired is deserving of a new thread so everyone will have the opportunity to see it and read your story.

THE ARMY HAD TOLD THE GERMANS TO PILE ALL THEIR WEAPONS IN THE TOWN SQUARE AND IT WAS WHILE WE WERE GOING THROUGH ONE OF THE SMALL TOWNS IN THE AREA THAT I PICKED UP MY SWORD AND OTHER SOUVENIRS INCLUDING SEVERAL GUNS THAT THE ARMY GUYS SWINDLED ME OUT OF PLAYING POKER.
                  May God bless men like Joe Peterburs! Take a moment to tell him thank you while we still can!

Good collecting and God bless,

William
                  William appreciate you sharing this...what guys dont realize is that many of the "Vet aquired pieces" were swindled. The fellow vet said it I didnt.....can you get a close up of the writing on the hilt or type what is says? thx
                  Last edited by phosphateb; 12-12-2004, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Bill,

A very odd Seitengewehr. I don't want to rain on the veteran's parade but this is an old late 1800s style Imperial Prussian sidearm. I can't imagine why it would have an eagle and swastika etched on the blade. Can you read what the engraved writing on the hilt says or make out any dates or place names? The blade etching of the stand of arms and foliate designs seem to be incised into the steel while the eagle and swastika seems to stand proud away from the incised background. Two different etching methods. Very odd.

Comment

War Souvenir Sword

For SCHUPO,

There are over 60 names and dates on the brass of the sword. The earliest date is below and area where it appears that names were removed. If true the sword dates earlier than the following:
                      " 4 Comp."
                      "Bohr. Kargrinac"
                      "19 Oct. 1865"
                      On the top head of the eagle is: " Obj. Erich Muller"
                      " * * "
                      "1925"
                      The latest date/names are on the top brass binding of the scabbard:

" 1938 Obj. Rogalski"

There is an "Obj. Haack" name engraved for the years 1935, 1936 and 1937.

It is obvious that the German Eagle and swastika were engraved on the clear side of the blade after the Nazi's assumed power. It also may be that the clear side was also engraved and was removed to make room for their mark.

Joe Peterburs

Comment

It looks to be one of those things that stayed within a unit and was awarded to a different soldier every year?

i have seen a few examples of such things, never on a sword.

Maybe soldier of the year within the unit?

Comment

A sword version of the units shooting cup? or something similar?

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Chris Boonzaier is correct. It appears to be a traveling prize for a Jäger u. Schützen formation, which would explain the additional, and deleted, names and the added eagle and swastika. It is a private purchase sidearm (Seitengewehr) made after the style of the 1810 Hirschfänger except that it does not affix to a rifle. It probably was instituted as a Wandering Prize in 1865 and used until 1938 as indicated by the dates. These unit prizes were often for shooting or "Bester" prizes for performance by enlisted men and could be worn for walking out dress. A very nice sidearm, thanks for sharing!

George

Comment

Most of the engravings in the 1800's start with " 1 Comp" , "2 Comp", etc. Do you have an idea of what Comp. is an abreviation of?? Campaign, Compatition ?? Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X