Vet bring back police NCO sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vet bring back police NCO sword

I recently picked this up from a dealer who had acquired it from the neighbors of the vet after he passed away. I don't collect edged weapons per se, but this was so unique that I just couldn't pass it up.To me this goes beyond militaria and is actually "Americana". The vet took great care in packing it up to mail home to his wife in Philly. Inside the little leather pouch is an EK2, a war merit medal and the washer and nut for the sword. The leather strips are a cut up belt of some kind. The scabbard is strapped to the inside of the lid and has never been removed.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

'
            Attached Files

Comment

''

Comment

'''
                Attached Files

Comment

'''''
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy what a superb peice of history. I can see why you could not resist it!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Oh my!

Andy if you should ever decide to sell it on please give me a shout.

Cheers,
                        David.
                        At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

That is amazing. The care he took to make and ship that sword and other items is fantastic. With the lid open like that it almost looks like a display case in its own right. Great item, thanks for sharing.

JasonS

Comment

What a fabulous find!

Finding a grouping like that is what this hobby is all about. Put me down also as one who would be interested if you were ever "foolish " enough to part with it...

You can just imagine the care that the soldier took to get it all packed away for the trip home....and it looks like maybe he never took it out once he did make it safely back! A time capsule from 1945....that's the way I see that.

And the fact that the soldier had elegant handwriting is just icing on the cake....

SUPERB!

Comment

Great found , congratulation .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X