Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dress Bayonets Help!

Hi There,

Can anyone help me - I have 2 SS dress bayonets which i have little knowledge about. i have pics but im not a member so cant post. The blades are etched but i dont know what they say. there from different units and i believe one is 1st ss unit?????? im so confused anyhelp would be greatful._

We really need pictures to be of any help at all to you. (The $25.00 it costs to become an Association Member would probably be money well spent in this case!) I would offer to post them, but I have dial-up 'net access and receiving photos is a real pain in the a** for me.

The bayonets you are describing are always viewed with suspicion as the vast majority of them you see are original bayonets with spurious engraving. Not to say that real ones don't exist, but they are God-awful rare.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
    Skip

Comment

I would agree with Skip. If it's a K98 combat-type bayonet (not a dress bayonet with a chromed blade), it's almost certainly a reproduction.

Comment

Ive Registered and payed my fee so i should be able to post the pics a little bit later.

Mike.

Comment

SS Bayonets

Hi,

Heres 1 pic, any information would be great

Cheers mike.
          Attached Files

Comment

The Second Picture

Is there any part in particular you need to See?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! Nice to see another fellow Brit join.

Sadly the bayonet is like Skipper & Craig supected. It is an original K98 bayonet which has had bogus etching applied. These bayonets were produced in here in England by a dealer in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I can recall the adverts in the "Exchange & Mart" magazines. The etchings were available for most of the SS divisions plus a few fantasy ones thrown in for good measure. Sorry it is not good news.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

ok Thank you for the information, whats the value on them??

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, to be honest I do not know? They do have a slight collector interest as a curio, but "value" will be very limited. The frog will be worth more I suspect? I hope that you do not have too much money tied up in them?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ive only ever seen another one which was in a museum in Belgium. thankyou for your help tho

Comment

Hi Mike, museums sadly do have duff stuff in them which can lead people to think that items are original, when they are not.

If you wish to move the items on we have a "Bazzar" section on the E Stand for repro items. If you do part with them, I would recommend that you sell the frog/s on their own as original items in the equipment section.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Mike,

Sorry things did not turn out better for you, and would lik to join Ade in welcoming you aboard as an Association Member (maybe that's the one good thing that came about as a result of this!)

I agree that the frogs may sell for a decent price. Unfortunately, the cretins who did the engraving actually took original items and hosed them up, making them worth less than they were before attempting to increase their value!

Ironic, isn't it?

Best,
                        Skip

Comment

Adrian: Do you (or does anybody else) happen to have an original copy of that publication? Fred and I could really use it for Edition III of Repro/Recognition.

Comment

Young Eagle - I would be interested in purchasing it for the sole purpose of photographing it for the book. After it's been photographed, I will have no use for it, in case anybody does want it as a curio. In fact, if anybody stateside has examples of this bayonet, I would love to photograph them. I will pay shipping both ways.

Comment

Craig,

These same fake S84/98 were sold in the US by Joe Walter's House of Swords and Militaria in the early 1970s and you will find them in their catalogs of that period as well. I no longer have any of those old catalogs but I remember seeing them in the catalogs and at Joe Walter's house in the Kansas City Metro. He also imported other fake edged weapons with etched blades that he had done in India and Pakistan. This fake etching was done on "new old stock" blades and blanks that came in bundles from Europe. US Customs put him out of business years ago for importing this stuff.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X