My WW1 German bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My WW1 German bayonet

Hey all. I was looking over my older pictures and came across photos of my German bayonet from WW1. I bought this bayonet from a friend of mine who didn't have a price tag on it since he had just bought it a few weeks before. I asked him how much and after dickering for a little bit we both settled at $150. When I started researching this bayonet I found that (if I'm correct anyway) it is a model 98/05 butcher blade bayonet with the markings W over 17 on the spine which I think means it was made in 1917. Also the blade is blued and has been for quite some time since there is still some cosmoline present in the sheathe. I think some were blued for the post WW1 army but I'm not sure. Any help with this and any comments are very welcome and very appreciated.
    Attached Files

Here's the maker if anyone can shed some light onto it.
    Attached Files

Comment

You are correct about the model and date. Anyone could have re-blued it at any time for a number of reasons, but it appears original from what I am seeing. The ones I have had in the past had no bluing left on the blades.

Maker is common, known as "WKC" on later made pieces.

Regards,
      Kent

Comment

It should be later reworked and used in Weimar or NS period, as the overall piece was blued, any 1920 or other stamp there?

Comment

I couldn't find any 1920 stamp anywhere on the piece Andy. It doesn't mean it never was there though. Could've been a bad stamping at the armory. I've seen it before on other pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffe View Post
            You are correct about the model and date. Anyone could have re-blued it at any time for a number of reasons, but it appears original from what I am seeing. The ones I have had in the past had no bluing left on the blades.

Maker is common, known as "WKC" on later made pieces.

Regards,
            Kent
            German bayonets were not blued during WWI, any bluing was done later. This one was probably blued during the TR era when they were pressed into service again.

Comment

Is the press button in pommel sloted? looks like a 3R rework.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X