All Aluminum Eickhorn Heer Daggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Aluminum Eickhorn Heer Daggers

As requested by a forum member, some details on the aluminum Eickhorn Heer daggers.
    These two all aluminum daggers are identical. The originate from different sources. One is more worn than the other.
    All fittings as well as the scabbard, bands and rings are made of aluminum with a heavy sliver plating. Note the tapered tang with a later makers mark. The eagle has a strong resemblance to the first model crossguard. The scabbard throat is formed in one piece with the shell. I would think this was an early experiment in using aluminum. Details are not as crisp as later daggers, so this may have been the reason for a short production run. I know of only 4 examples, including the two in my collection. There are bound to be more, but certainly a rare variant.

Wolfgang
    Attached Files

Photos 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Photos 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Dagger 2. This one has suffered some door dings on the scabbard. But being as rare as they are, still worth having in my collection. All details are exactly the same as in the first dagger shown.

Wolfgang
        Attached Files

Comment

Dag 2
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Comment

Outstanding!!!
              I just wet myself
              If I understand correctly, the burnished squirrel mm is not typically a tapered tang blade? And are all double oval mm blades tapered?
              I don't take my daggers apart and have seen few in pieces. Thanks for sharing. I never knew these existed in aluminum. The scabbard is very unique in design.

Frank

Comment

Here is my example it conforms exactly to Wolfgang’s two examples. Mine has seen some heavy carrying time. Wittmann calls them a prototype …… they obviously made a very small run. Seems the manufacturing time frame would be about the same time Pack produced their aluminum hilt fittings. Other companies experimented and used lightweight base metals on the hilt fittings presumably in an effort to reduce the weight of the dagger. But these eickhorns are unique as every component is aluminum. I agree with Wolfgang the crossguard is a Type-1 the pommel – grip ferrule & scabbard bands are the early style used by Eickhorn.

Comment

I think the aluminium designation might be a bit confusing. I take it these would have, or are silver plated similar to the early / mid period Pack 3rds ?, not true brushed aluminium.

Certainly a rare variation using that base metal and some lovely examples shown here. I think that people might be checking their collections pretty quickly after seeing the asking price that Mr W is asking for his.

EDIT: Just re-read Wolfgangs initial post, he answered my question. Thanks.

Comment

Certainly some very desirable and scarce variations of German Army Officer's daggers . Circa 1935 information was published that nickel silver (roughly 2/3 copper) was no longer going to be available for non-milItary production, and that thereafter things like nickel silver insignia were now going to be made instead out of aluminum, like some other same period daggers that had previously used nickel silver. So from my perspective they probably fall into the category of an experiment versus prototypes (same dagger just a change in materials that was going to also change later as aluminum itself became a restricted material). FP

Comment

Jon that’s right silver plated - mine has suffered a polish by a do-good-er These things are light as a feather really amazing. IMO they didn’t hold up well especially the scabbards.

Comment

Great looking Armies. And lucky owners of these rare pieces I guess.

Regards, Wim
                        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Wolfgang and Tom, Great and Super rare pieces! Thanks for starting this post. As I have discussed with Tom, I have seen two examples of initial production Heers by WKC (both slants) that had this aluminum scabbard! Both showed dents, deformed rings (we think the rings are aluminum too)and the typical bubbling of the silver plating along with having no throat screws.. I have pictures of one that I will post here. WKC and Eickhorn were known to swap parts more than any other two makers in my experience so?? Interesting variations abound in this hobby, does anyone have an example like I show here? Kevin.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input Kevin. I didn't think about the Eick / WKC association and alum scabbards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X