Custom Heer Dagger Case/ OPINIONS PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Heer Dagger Case/ OPINIONS PLEASE

I just picked this up from a ww2 vets son, the case is really nice, with a snakeskin looking covering, and it's had a dagger in it for some time, as told by the impression on the inner lid. Also a personalized metal disk on the lid. Please help me out if this case is a ww2 period piece. The daggers a nice one, and the case is also very nice, and I think it's a period case, but I need help from those of you who can pick a post war piece out easily, and maybe with any other information that can be learned by it.

Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.
    Attached Files

more pictures

another look
    Attached Files

Comment

more pics

more
      Attached Files

Comment

more

another look
        Attached Files

Comment

more pics

another look
          Attached Files

Comment

Last one

Last picture, thanks for looking
            Attached Files

Comment

Clearly I'm not expert on such cases but it appears to me that it could be period. Looks well-done & does not seem to resemble the occasionally seen post-1945 dagger cases that frequent Eban.

The monogram is nice, I suspect for some minor noble? Is there a similar personalization on the dagger crossguard? What I'm thinking is that if it was indeed for someone of nobility, they would have had the coin & desire to have such an affectation.

Comment

I tend to agree with Billy. Especially if you picked it from a vet's son.

Comment

Could be, but a very difficult area. The monogram with ducal coronet over is a familiar English format. The catches are obtainable from hardware stores in the UK, but are not the spring loaded slide catch pattern seen on period TR cases.
                  I have cased several high end daggers over the years, by refurbishing antique knife and cutlery boxes. After a few years they look as though they have always been together. See attached pix for an example of what can be done.
                  I hope your case is period; imo the dagger should have the same ducal coronet and monogram to stand a chance.
                  Attached Files

Comment

update

I should have clarified that in the original thread, I obtained the case from a ww2 vets son, and he told me that when his dad died, the dagger disappeared (other family member) and he kept the case. The dagger in the case is my own, and I put it in the case just to show the fit.
                    I will ask him if there was anything about the original dagger that he can remember, like a matching monogram since it seems that might be an important clue.
                    Thanks for the feedback so far, I hope to hear some more, and If I find out anything about the original dagger, I'll put it up.

Comment

info

Just spoke with the vets son, he hasn't seen the dagger or case for the last ten years, and all he recalls is that his dad did bring this back at the wars end with the dagger in it, and the dagger had a yellow grip. He believes the case to be a ww2 period piece, and I'm hoping it is as well, and I really welcome any input that would prove or disprove it, either way I would love to know more about it. Is the symbol of the crown on the medallion something that would point in any specific direction??

Thanks again

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X