SA Dagger with Dedication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Dagger with Dedication

Today, I bought this super SA dagger with dedication from an estate sale along with a nice Hitlerjugend dagger and RAD leader's dagger. I've handled hundreds of SA daggers, but never had one with a dedication. The dagger was made by August Bickel in Steinbach-Hallenberg in Thuringia, a rare maker I think because I have never owned an SA dagger made by this company. The dedication on the blade reads:

Treue um Treue! (Loyalty for Loyalty!)
    Kameradschaftlichen Dank! (Comradely Gratititude!)
    9.XI.1934 Heil Hitler! Dr. v. Dehlins (9 November 1934 Heil Hitler! Dr. v. Dehlins)

I am about 95% sure of the name of the person who dedicated this SA dagger to a comrade - my guess is that the name is Dr. von Dehlins, but if anyone has any other guesses, I would like to hear them. The v of von seems to blend in to the D of Dehlins.

Dr. von Dehlins gave this dagger to a comrade on 9 November 1934, the 11th anniversary of Hitler's Putsch in München (from the date of the Putsch - 9 November 1923 - to 9 November 1944, 9 November was celebrated in Germany; in the 1930s, Hitler reenacted the march to the Feldherrnhalle in the 1930s with fellow participants of the Putsch. It's doubtful that von Dehlins or the person to whom he dedicated the dagger was involved in the Putsch since the SA Group mark is MI for SA Group Mitte, (SA Group Center), which was located in central Germany, not Bayern (Bavaria), where the Putsch took place in München. This dagger was dedicated shortly after the Knight of the Long Knives and the death of Paul von Hindenburg - Hitler was a marvel in Germany at this time. I've seen many SA daggers with inscriptions during my forty years of collecting, but have never seen an inscription that included Heil Hitler!, which in my opinion, shows that Dr. von Dehlins and his comrade were loyal followers of Hitler.

Barry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormfighter; 09-23-2014, 08:04 PM.

--
    Attached Files

Comment

---
      Attached Files

Comment

-----
        Attached Files

Comment

Great find!!

Comment

Second one I've seen with that exact dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
              Second one I've seen with that exact dedication.
              Well, Dr. von Dehlins had many friends.

Comment

I like it, looks good to me

Comment

I agree: a beautiful piece, all in all! And that hanger has seen many years of action, hasn't it?! Since this piece is from the original orders for daggers placed by SA Group Mitte in Magdeburg, the owner of this dagger was regarded as an Altekämpfer by all of his comrades.

Not being extremely familiar with the process of inscribing blade dedications and personalizations, my eye was attracted to what appears to be the reworking of the blade's reverse surface -- looks like the surface was heavily buffed prior to the etching of the dedication, and this buffing removed the cross-graining over the blade's entire reverse surface. I don't know whether such buffing was required in order to smooth out the blade's surface prior to the etching, but another thought comes to me: this dedication covers at least the same area on the blade that a Röhm Honor Dagger's dedication would have covered, and I wonder whether the Röhm dedication was removed and replaced by this later dedication? Seems at least possible, given that this dedication was placed there at least four months after the so-called "Röhm Putsch" took place.

In any event, this dagger was probably owned by an SA Old Fighter -- the owner was certainly part of his SA-Gruppe at least by the time Hitler took office as Chancellor of Germany, and if this dagger was originally a Röhm Honor Dagger, then it was awarded to a man who was recognized as an Altekämpfer by the Chief of Staff of the SA at that time -- Ernst Röhm.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                    I agree: a beautiful piece, all in all! And that hanger has seen many years of action, hasn't it?! Since this piece is from the original orders for daggers placed by SA Group Mitte in Magdeburg, the owner of this dagger was regarded as an Altekämpfer by all of his comrades.

Not being extremely familiar with the process of inscribing blade dedications and personalizations, my eye was attracted to what appears to be the reworking of the blade's reverse surface -- looks like the surface was heavily buffed prior to the etching of the dedication, and this buffing removed the cross-graining over the blade's entire reverse surface. I don't know whether such buffing was required in order to smooth out the blade's surface prior to the etching, but another thought comes to me: this dedication covers at least the same area on the blade that a Röhm Honor Dagger's dedication would have covered, and I wonder whether the Röhm dedication was removed and replaced by this later dedication? Seems at least possible, given that this dedication was placed there at least four months after the so-called "Röhm Putsch" took place.

In any event, this dagger was probably owned by an SA Old Fighter -- the owner was certainly part of his SA-Gruppe at least by the time Hitler took office as Chancellor of Germany, and if this dagger was originally a Röhm Honor Dagger, then it was awarded to a man who was recognized as an Altekämpfer by the Chief of Staff of the SA at that time -- Ernst Röhm.

Cheers,

Br. James
                    Br. James,

I am in full agreement with your well thought out assessment. I am planning to bring the dagger to the MAX Show next week. Will you be there? If so, please send me a PM.

All the best,

Barry

Comment

Many thanks, Barry, but sadly (at least for me) I will not be present for the MAXX Show next weekend. I would have loved to be there and to have met and chatted with you, but other obligations control my calendar!

But don't let that stop you from having a fabulous time! Enjoy,

Br. James

Comment

Thats a cracking dagger my thoughts exactly on the Rohm dedication . Rob
                        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

A fine piece of history

Regards, Wim
                          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Here are the two other daggers I bought from the veteran's estate. The RAD leader's dagger was made by Alcoso and the Hitlerjugend dagger without motto was made by M7/5 (Carl Julius Krebs).

Barry
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great score! I really like the dedicated SA. Are you taking it to the MAX to sell?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X