Sword for review and help, SS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword for review and help, SS?

Hello, I've been offered this sword, as an SS sword. I really could use some help with this, what is it, is it original, is it a sword of the SS, any information about this sword would be greatly appreciated. If it's a good one, what would one expect to pay for one like this?

Thanks so much in advance. SB
    Attached Files

more pictures

pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

last pictures

Thanks for your help
      Attached Files

Comment

This is not your standard SS sword. Tom Wittmann is currently offering a sword titled "SS Silver Dove Head Sword with Dedicated Triple Etched Blade – Alcoso" and it has a number of similarities with this piece...though the crossguard eagle on Tom's offering faces its left, not its right as this one does. Wittmann's piece also has an elaborately etched blade, and the Alcoso trademark is clearly visible on its riccasso. Tom's description doesn't say much about the history of this sword, other than it is a rare and early piece. I would want to have much more information about this style of sword before venturing any further, and for such a rare piece, provenance would be extremely helpful.

I look forward to reading the opinions of our more-experienced colleagues here.

Br. James

Comment

I have also a silver plated sword; Nice sword, but i will be very careful to present it as a ss sword.
          Your sword is a dovehead Horster sword.

Comment

Last edited by Mister Aurel; 09-09-2014, 05:34 AM.

Comment

police, court??

Comment

My sword was sold as land customs sword (the portepee was with, not good but original). In your case, it is mainly the appearance of runes that leave me skeptical.
                Otherwise, it's a beautiful piece that I like

Comment

I do not care for the runes, under the cross guard. Something very odd about them in IMO.

Comment

I don't particularly care for the markings myself, and the saber in question looks like it was taken apart and reassembled with two extra leather(?) washers underneath the collar. Added markings also not particularly unique with some faked examples cast in silver, or with an exceptionally heavy silver layer over a different base metal. And that's just touching lightly on the topic, because zinc and aluminum "silver" sabers are also in circulation, with the SS-Degen itself being awarded starting in 1935 with the supposed M 1936 designation a collector's invention. With some of the examples that might be seen in books when looked at closely also highly suspect (IMO). FP

Comment

I believe the only reason this is being touted as an SS sword is due to the runes on the crossguard underside. That said, I don't like the look of them either & would have to be very convinced myself before plunking down serious coin for a sword that might or might not have been carried by an SS Mann. My gut feeling is the runes were added postwar to enhance the sword's value. By itself, without the runes, I think it's a very nice looking piece.

Comment

Ok, so for many people, it is not a true ss sword because of the runes; i thought that was a finger resting leather device installed between the ferrule and the crossguard, but it can be just two extra leather washers.
                        Rivets had to be removed at a time because they do not have the same color.
                        So the sword was dismantled and reassembled at a time.
                        Do not buy it as a true ss sword, but it is a nice piece. The price must be negotiated with the seller.

Comment

I'm not buying the markings as being period or well done for that matter.
                          The other thing mentioned above that bothers me is the non finished brass colored pins on the backstrap. Logic suggests that the pins would also be silvered at the time of assembly.
                          Too many red flags for me. Sorry.

Tony
                          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

[QUOTE=Mister Aurel;6581999] i thought that was a finger resting leather device installed between the ferrule and the crossguard, but it can be just two extra leather washers.

Yes, possibly the remains of an original to the sword finger loop.
                            However, the SS markings are certainly spurious. Silver hilt sabres are indeed attractive (see attached), but provenance is critical - so best not to pay "SS" prices unless you can be certain sure!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X