Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss division bayonets

Hello,

I wanted to buy a SS division bayonet for a while but read up on them and it says the marks on these are POST WWII and these were not used during the war.

See attached pictures.. are these bayonet etching made after the war?

what about this one?

Original bayonet.
    Fake after war etching.

JC

Comment

Post war british etched

Comment

Thank you so much for letting me know.. Iam just puzzled at why these are 3x to 4x more expensive then original sets... After all these etchings are not original nazi/German right? I am puzzled why people would do this? Also as far as the handle goes and the "SS" mark.. that is also post war/british? On some of them the handles look like they are really old...

Comment

These are fakes that are passed off as real to unsuspecting buyers. They were made decades ago, real bayonets ruined to make them more attractive to potential buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
            These are fakes that are passed off as real to unsuspecting buyers. They were made decades ago, real bayonets ruined to make them more attractive to potential buyers.
            Thank you so much for the input... I would be one of these unsuspecting buyers if I did not do my research and confirm with you guys...

Here i go thinking these are real/rare and really nice - and they are post war and NOT REAL NAZI ERA etchings on original metal.

Comment

Guys one more question... regarding: SILVER KNIFE TO LETTERS TOTENKOPF

Is this a real WWII item? or again - one of these post WAR items?

as seen here:

Comment

That is absolute garbage. There are massive heaps of this stuff being made even today, old items like cigarette cases and lighters, ash trays, bowls and plates, etc. newly marked with fake SS inscriptions. Collecting Third Reich items- especially SS- is a mine field with many more fake items offered than real ones. iOffer is a particularly fake-ridden dumping ground for crap.

Comment

That is absolute garbage. There are massive heaps of this stuff being made even today, old items like cigarette cases and lighters, ash trays, bowls and plates, etc. newly marked with fake SS inscriptions. Collecting Third Reich items- especially SS- is a mine field with many more fake items offered than real ones. iOffer is a particularly fake-ridden dumping ground for crap.
                  Your right.. After looking through some of that stuff - its shameful..

I will do much research before investing lots of $$ in real 1930's-1940's items

Comment

Posting here before buying will save you a lot of money. You are on the right track.

Comment

Well said IMO a general "rule of thumb" the more "TR" symbols there are, the greater the chance of an item being a fake. And sometimes it helps to take a look at the Order of Battle and/or history of a unit. With the 3rd SS Panzer Division (being officially upgraded as such in mid 1944) having the 3rd added to its title near the end of 1943. Heavily engaged in fighting the Russians in the East before falling back to eventually surrender to the Americans in Austria, only to be turned over to the Russians one week later with many of them disappearing in captivity. A very significant factor for combat bayonets - because how and when were they supposed to have been "personalized" with unit markings??? Here is another illustration of the "more "TR" symbols the better thinking that many fakers use to try and convince people that an item is "real" from a recent thread concerning a well known postwar fake. FP

http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthread.php?t=756532
                      Last edited by Frogprince; 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM. Reason: minor clarification

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X