K98 Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98 Bayonet

Here's one just acquired for which I would appreciate some feedback and clarification, please.

The only markings on the bayonet and scabbard are Waffenamt stamps on the hilt " WaA 519" and a serial number on the crossguard which appears to have been altered and over-stamped using larger numerals at some point, now reading "H 175786". I am unable to make out the WaA stamp found on the ball tip of the scabbard.

The blade is in beautiful condition still retaining most of the blue/black finish. The wooden grips do not have the grooves with which I am more familiar. But no maker mark, serial number or date on the blade confuses me. Is this perhaps a very early production piece?

Any and all comments from those who know about these bayonets will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwburchell; 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM.

Close up:
    Attached Files

Comment

More:
      Attached Files

Comment

And more:
        Attached Files

Comment

...and one more:
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello looks like nice portugal contract M941 made probably in early 1942 in H range, new serial 576 added over the origin, the scabbard is most real a earlier portugal contract piece M937.b.r.A.

Comment

Your bayonet was originally produced for the Wehrmacht (WaA code.), but then was sold to Portugal, wich army is reworked these bayonets.
              (As a replacement for the Portuguese import raw materials Germany sold Portugal some military equipment.)
              They often times knew strip and mix all parts of these imported K98 bayonet.
              That is why is difficult to find the original manufacturer of your bayonets.
              Judging by the code, it could be a FW Holler, although the same code was used by both the company Berg & Co, Carl Eickhorn, Clemen & Jung and others bayonet producers.
              What is most likely is year of bayonet production: 1942.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi
              Last edited by Schlange; 09-02-2014, 04:04 AM.

Comment

You are wrong Schlange in the opinion that it was produced for Wehrmacht, this bayonet was produced for Portugal army as contract piece of 1941, has got only army acceptance and the producer is of Solingen area.

Comment

I think that judging from the photos it may be a combination of the !937 and 1941 contracts. With the bayonet itself from the 1941 contact (it's blurred but my sense is that the scabbard ball has a down-swept wing WaA253). Regards, Fred

Comment

Thank you all very much for the feedback which is really appreciated.

Below is another somewhat clearer picture of the scabbard ball WaA stamping, in case this helps.

Are Portuguese contract manufactured bayonets harder to find or perhaps more desirable/valuable...and what might be the approximate pricing?

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Portuguese contract are not scarce because of majority was buyed by Frankonia or other german arms dealer, and resaled on market early 90ies. The prices are lower as Wehrmacht S84/98 bayonets, about 50-80 Euro by matching pieces.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X