Imperial Cuirasser Interim Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Cuirasser Interim Sword

This is a piece I recently picked up at an American auction. It is the so-called 'alter Art' or old style Degen in use prior to the intro of the IOD89.
    It is in beautiful conditon and the leather work on the scabbard is unmarked. It came without a portepee but I have put one on for show.
    The ferrule and the top chape of the scabbard have the number '36' stamped, and it is maker maked 'W K & C.'
    Attached Files

xx
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wessel View Post
        This is a piece I recently picked up at an American auction. It is the so-called 'alter Art' or old style Degen in use prior to the intro of the IOD89.
        It is in beautiful conditon and the leather work on the scabbard is unmarked. It came without a portepee but I have put one on for show.
        The ferrule and the top chape of the scabbard have the number '36' stamped, and it is maker maked 'W K & C.'
        Wessel, It looks like a very nice Degen with a much better than average scabbard that often takes a beating. That was used as you said as a Prussian pre-1889 Infantry Officers sword (IOD). But the thread title itself may be a little off as the Cuirassier's Interim Degen has a horizontal crossbar above the basket/shell portion of the hilt not unlike that of the British 1796 Heavy Cavalry's Officer's dress pattern sword (from which it may or may not have been copied(?). With the other Prussian Cuirassier's Officer's swords being dress versions of either the French or Russian pattern swords that the enlisted men carried. Not that what is really just a technical distinction (from my own understanding) detracts at all from acquiring an interesting and attractive piece of history. Best Regards, Fred

Comment

Thanks, Fred...I was going on the description given in Johnson's Imperial Sword Book, pp. 273-274 & 303 which show exactly (more or less) this Degen. As you say, however, the technical detals are not paramount, just having a nice example of an Imperial Officer's sword in better than average condition.
          Incidentally, can you tell me the difference betwen this type of sword and the Civil Service sword which, to me, looks very similar?

Comment

Originally posted by wessel View Post
            Thanks, Fred...I was going on the description given in Johnson's Imperial Sword Book, pp. 273-274 & 303 which show exactly (more or less) this Degen. As you say, however, the technical detals are not paramount, just having a nice example of an Imperial Officer's sword in better than average condition.
            Incidentally, can you tell me the difference betwen this type of sword and the Civil Service sword which, to me, looks very similar?
            Wessel, With no mention of some well known U.S. dealers that have been known to sometimes sell Imperial era EM swords as Officer's models, making similar mistakes with other supposed facts, and not even covering some other areas. I don't pay that much attention personally to a number of especially U.S. books that are supposed to be about Imperial swords. As for the sword that I think that you may be referring to: the Model 1840 U.S. Army Noncommissioned Officer's Sword. Aside from the markings etc. it is similar in design, but plainer, and itself was probably copied from the British 1796 Infantry Officer's sword which not only has a more decorative hilt, but oftentimes has a fire blued/gilt blade that is on done on top of a hand engraved blade. Best Regards, Fred

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X