NCO sword - fake, fantasy or bad mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO sword - fake, fantasy or bad mod?

I figured this was a fake when I bought it, but I have not been able to find another shield of this kind. The shield is attached by bent wires that go through holes that were drilled in the tabs on on the crossguard.

I now think the sword is an original unmarked NCO sword, but someone messed with it.

Please re take the last shot in focus. I am at first glance in doubt due to the emblem being cattywhompus in its mounting alignment.
    The insignia may be authentic, but as you eluded ,anything may be possible , as just because we have never seen something before, doesn't mean it couldn't have been .
    I am assuming the insignia would be HJ related .
    Has any of the photo collectors ever seen one in any of their collected photos...if so please post that photo if one exists.

Comment

Possibly, could be Sudeteten ?

Comment

It is possible that someone added the insignia to the langet to make a common sword more saleable but I see some issues.

First, the sword hilt cants to the spine of the blade and is not on a straight line indicating the tang is oddly bent. Second, the wire is not the usual three strand normally seen in the grips of WWII German swords of this type. Third, is the insignia on the langet. Three strikes and you are out with me I am afraid. It does look like a sword that has been assembled postwar from old parts from the photographs.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
          It is possible that someone added the insignia to the langet to make a common sword more saleable but I see some issues.

First, the sword hilt cants to the spine of the blade and is not on a straight line indicating the tang is oddly bent. Second, the wire is not the usual three strand normally seen in the grips of WWII German swords of this type. Third, is the insignia on the langet. Three strikes and you are out with me I am afraid. It does look like a sword that has been assembled postwar from old parts from the photographs.
          I can't argue with that. Now that it's pointed out, the sword does seem to have some other issues going on besides the addition of the insignia. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
            I can't argue with that. Now that it's pointed out, the sword does seem to have some other issues going on besides the addition of the insignia. Fred
            Thanks all - I thought it was a fake/replica and paid accordingly.

But it's one of those things that is just close enough to reality that you have to double-check.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X