Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer's dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer's dagger

The military dealer Weitze in Germany, has the dagger of honor from the Diamonds winner Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer for sale.
    I would like to hear opinions about it.
    The engrave "Herren" instead of "Herrn" makes me a bit thoughtful.
    But I am no expert and want to hear experienced collectors comments.

Hi,

I agree. "Herren" is definitely the plural form and wrong in this context. It should read "Herrn".
    There is no doubt about this.

If is it a legit dagger, I can not imagine how this mistake could slip trough.

Regards
    Christian

https://www.weitze.net/detail/98/Luf...s__185798.html

Comment

Lost in translation well lost me
      " The vagina also the top of the vaginal lips stamped with genuine silver
      fittings "
      Mametz

Comment

No other opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          No other opinions?
          If the question is it as regards the proper use of "Herren", I would imagine that the pool of those who are best informed are those who are native German speakers. With perhaps some knowledge of how it was properly used 70 years ago. NOT that I'm questioning any opinions that have already been posted - I simply don't have the expertise. And my own relatives who would have had that knowledge are now gone. FP

Comment

Hi,
            I had some mail coversation with Mr. Weitze on the topic, pulled out some old grammar books and came to the conclusion that this form "Herren" was not very common, but was used.
            And then of course, as stated, how it was used 70 years ago is than again a point to take into account.
            Regards
            Christian

P.S.
            I am a native German speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              No other opinions?
              Hmmm....a etched 1st luft dagger in 1944....
              did they used his own dagger
              And it comes with a CoA from TW...

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                Hi,
                I had some mail coversation with Mr. Weitze on the topic, pulled out some old grammar books and came to the conclusion that this form "Herren" was not very common, but was used.
                And then of course, as stated, how it was used 70 years ago is than again a point to take into account.
                Regards
                Christian

P.S.
                I am a native German speaker
                Christian, I have an old reference that is dated 1936/39 that I think I inherited. It's less forgiving than yours with "Herren" listed for just the plural use of the word. Did Mr. Weitze provide any other information that might shed some light on the topic? Best Regards, Fred

Comment

If I may, another question might be: has anyone here ever seen any other example of an engraved dagger which displayed the word as "Herren?" I have only seen two or three examples which used this term over my decades of collecting, and as far as I can recall, it was always spelled "Herrn."

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Rheingold View Post
                    Hmmm....a etched 1st luft dagger in 1944....
                    did they used his own dagger
                    And it comes with a CoA from TW...
                    A rock solid provenance with these etch blade dedicated pieces is always a critical requirement, imho.
                    More than a few years back a luft sword with a late war etched dedication surfaced in the Uk and was much admired by the owner and his circle of friends. Then, an identical appeared on a major US sales site. Further research found another identical in a printed sales catalogue from some years before!
                    Much earlier, back in 1968, I was caught out by a luft' sword with a dedication to Erhard Milch from Goering - a few years later an identical surfaced, same etch - different blade TM.
                    The piece Weitze has may be ok, but not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post

Not for nor my collection either.

If one studies the blue panel shade, as veteran collectors know had a certain 'sky' look to it. I find that this feature is one of the hardest for the fakers to get right, so I always look there first.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                        A rock solid provenance with these etch blade dedicated pieces is always a critical requirement, imho.
                        More than a few years back a luft sword with a late war etched dedication surfaced in the Uk and was much admired by the owner and his circle of friends. Then, an identical appeared on a major US sales site. Further research found another identical in a printed sales catalogue from some years before!
                        Much earlier, back in 1968, I was caught out by a luft' sword with a dedication to Erhard Milch from Goering - a few years later an identical surfaced, same etch - different blade TM.
                        Thanks for your comment Barry

Comment

Barry, My thanks also for sharing your perspective in an area that sometimes has more than its fair share of "mine fields". Fred

Comment

look at this.

http://www.war-relics.com/products/d...twaffe-dagger/

" Den Herren....." its wrong and not german language! "Dem Herren...." is the right one...

i think this is the knock off for the etch from the schnaufer dagger.
                            the same etch.god work but never original pre 45.

Comment

Sooner than I expected - this is an interesting addition to the discussion. FP

http://www.war-relics.com/products/d...twaffe-dagger/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X