Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st model Luftwaffe dagger, Paul Weyersberg

Hi guys,

Just purchased this 1st model Luftwaffe dagger today off of the son of a B24 pilot. It is the first varient of this series of daggers in nickel. The patina or wear seems to be consistent from the pommel, to the hilt. The leather to my untrained eye looks good. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I almost forgot, what does the eagle stamp with the number 5 represent on the blade?

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited by nbuergel; 08-25-2014, 01:37 AM. Reason: missing detail

Excellent dagger!! Eagle proof mark on blade is the Waffenamt code (German inspection proof mark)

Comment

Except for the Luftwaffe contracted firearms which have quite a few of the markings, perhaps more of an acceptance marking for other items contracted by the Luftwaffe that would differentiate them from private/other purchases. The marking here indicates government property for what was originally an Officer's type of sidearm that would have been intended for senior grade NCO's (Unteroffizier mit Portepee) and certain other enlisted men. In 1937 that changed with the introduction of what collectors call the 2nd model with Officer's to no longer wear the 1st model being ordered to replace them with the 2nd model. Which was expanded early in 1940 to include the Unteroffizier mit Portepee ranks. With the lower grade NCO's and enlisted men with flight status the only ones permitted to wear the 1st model. FP

Comment

Original 1. model of Luftwaffe dagger, manufactured by Paul Weyersberg Solingen
        It looks like these dagger was restored / cleaned. (Metal parts and leather.)
        Eagle 5 stamp means that Paul Weyersberg Solingen is one of exclusive supplier blades for Luftwaffe.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

Great dagger!

Comment

Nate,

Thats a nice 1st luft dagger

Would own this one myself no problem.

Regards Mac 66.

Comment

Originally posted by nbuergel View Post
              Hi guys,

Just purchased this 1st model Luftwaffe dagger today off of the son of a B24 pilot. It is the first varient of this series of daggers in nickel. The patina or wear seems to be consistent from the pommel, to the hilt. The leather to my untrained eye looks good. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I almost forgot, what does the eagle stamp with the number 5 represent on the blade?

Thanks,

Nate
              It is relatively consistent, but I'm inclined to agree with Schlange that it has been cleaned/polished at some point as compared to same period Luftwaffe blades that are aged with the aging still intact. Which i'm sure varies depending on the local climate and how they were protected or stored. That said, in the images at least, the leather may be another matter. And that's because it seems to be more of a black than a Luftwaffe blue. And if permitted, the metal parts will eventually reacquire some age. But the leather may not be that lucky which is probably going to be off-putting to those who want a more original Luftwaffe blue period appearance, so I'm hoping that it's just the lighting.

With the one other thing that I forgot to mention earlier being that a number of not just aircrew, but also pilots in the Air Forces of that period were not commissioned officers but enlisted men. And this is the early nickel silver version which is prior to the shift to aluminum of the new manufacture/production version with many collectors seeming to have a preference for the earlier ones. From a time when both officers and enlisted men wore the same model dagger prior to 1937. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X