Early Christianwerk SA Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Christianwerk SA Dagger

I got this early SA Dagger, I believe it has Nickle fittings and is a 1933-1936 made piece . Is it?

I had two questions about it ..

1. ) What group was identified by NRH? On the crossguard

2. ) What's a realistic value for this piece ?

Thank you all so much
    Attached Files

Blade
    Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lancer,
        a nice early dagger!
        NRH stands for Niederrhein,
        Regards,

Comment

Some more
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up Rhiengold
            Attached Files

Comment

very nice looking dagger

Comment

Great looking early SA.

Comment

Nice SA. Just how I like them.

Regards, Wim
                  Freedom is not for Free

Comment

[QUOTE=Lancer506;6554348]I got this early SA Dagger, I believe it has Nickle fittings and is a 1933-1936 made piece . Is it?

Yes correct it has nickle fittings & produced between 1933-1936,

Its got to be worth around $600 - $700, blade looks cleaned but does it have any crossgrain visable ?

Nice looking dagger

Regards Mac 66.

Comment

To be honest I don't know what cross grain ing is ...

But if it is these lines here than yes, their is cross draining I think
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer506 View Post
                        To be honest I don't know what cross grain ing is ...

But if it is these lines here than yes, their is cross draining I think

Crossgrain is the fine lines running across the blade & i see your blade has some showing

Comment

Hi Lancer,

What a fine and handsome example of the earliest of SA Standard Service Daggers you have; it has been well-cared-for ever since it was purchased by SA-Gruppe Neiderrhein among its first dagger orders in 1934. As Mac observed, the blade does appear to have been cleaned and the highlighting/accenting of the motto has suffered from that cleaning, as has the maker's mark, but it's good that there is some evidence of cross-graining still present. (Cross-graining is a result of the finishing of the forging process and it leaves fine, soft lines all across the surface of the blade in the north-south direction -- the blade itself runs in the east-west direction with the motto readable. Cross-graining can still be seen in today's cutlery, especially on those pieces manufactured in Germany by such firms as JA Henckels and Wüsthof -- both of which are old and revered Solingen firms which produced all sorts of sidearms for the Third Reich.)

Cross-graining should not be mistaken for runner marks -- irregular lines scraped onto both sides of the blade after years of withdrawing and inserting the dagger into its scabbard. Inside the scabbard's throat is a metal spring-like holding mechanism called a "runner" which supports the blade when it resides in the scabbard, does not permit the dagger to slip out and fall, and permits the blade to smoothly run into the scabbard body. Over the years these metal runners begin to rust, and they also begin to scrape against the blade when it runs in or out, eventually leaving 'runner marks.' These marks are often seen on blades and are merely an artifact of the age of the dagger.

Cheers on owning a fine example,

Br. James

Comment

That's what edged weapon collectors like ... full crossgrain
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
                              That's what edged weapon collectors like ... full crossgrain
                              Damn,what a lovely blade

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X