Wüsthof HJ Knife Diamond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wüsthof HJ Knife Diamond?

Well, I’ve had this old Wüsthof HJ knife with motto and without ricasso for over 20 years and finally looked a little closer at the grip diamond the other day and noticed that it lacks the pebbled appearance. It is smooth enamel with plenty of wear, did this exist or perhaps a replaced diamond?
    Attached Files
    Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

With only that part visible it is tough to say for sure. But, my guess is your knife is a late production one.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

I had seen without diamonds pebbling , looks good to me .

Comment

more of the hilt:
        Attached Files
        Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Maker:
          Attached Files

Comment

Overall, motto is faint, very faint:
            Attached Files

Comment

To have a motto and maker's mark, it's certainly not late war. Something about the insert just seems to go with the rest of the knife. It looks okay to me.
              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

The fittings looks as new and the blade very working-rough , a little mystery .

Comment

Now I am confused. As I said before, I would expect that diamond with a late knife. Does it wiggle?

Comment

I don't have a problem with the knife. Considering that 20 years ago HJ knives were worth about $25.00 - 40.00, it's unlikely that anyone would have bothered to change out the diamond on a knife in this condition (not knocking your knife, just making my case!). It's kind of a pain in the a** and the rivets show no signs of having been messed with or replaced - something that replacing the grip insignia would have required.

Happy Thanksgiving!
                    Skip

Comment

I agree Skipper. But a diamond can be replaced by gluing not pinning without damage to a grip. Although not 100%, a wiggle would tell. My early HJ knives have a diamond that sets up a little high, this looks slightly low is why I ask.

Comment

Hj dagger

Gendarn: i have the same dagger but i have the motto on it,my diamond has the pebbling on it. Bill V

Comment

Wow, lot of response, thanks to all and I will try to answer! Yes, I agree that it is certainly not late war as I said it has the motto and is marker marked opposed to the later RZM mark. No “mystery”, the fittings are certainly not any newer than the blade, believe me there is appropriate wear through out. Perhaps it is a mater of having a heavy hilt with think plate and poor storage of the blade. When I bought it over 20 years ago (for approximately $20-25), the scabbard was missing. The wiggle thing, or lack of, bothered me but I just checked again and there is a very slight wiggle. Rivets don’t look replaced and perfectly match the hilt finish. The hilt/blade/grips are all tight, very well constructed. Diamond is set a little low on one side but higher on the other, edge above the grip. On one part of the diamond where the finish is worn war away it appears more of a copper color.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

Comment

My Ed Wusthof HJ has the pebbled diamond. I have seven HJ knives and six have pebbled diamonds. One has a smooth diamond like yours; an RZM M7/13 (Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co) and I have no doubt it's original. I would assume these were probably subcontracted parts so you might expect to find some variation, even within the same maker.

Comment

Interesting pictures. I have had this HJ knife for eons now. Noticed that the swastika plate is plain like the one above. Anyone care to offer any opinions on this one?

Last edited by h009291; 07-08-2005, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X