Letter opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter opener

I got this letter opener today, and I must say, this is excellent work, no cheap junk.

Has anyone of you seen such a thing before? It is from the Steyr-manufacturer, who built machines and tractors.

Thank you!

Ostmaerker
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter,
      I like this letter opener, but I have never seen before, but the dates are very simple:1864 declared Austria and Prussia to war against Denmark. 1939 war against Poland.
      Regards
      Winfried

Comment

I've not seen this piece before, but from the dates on the hilt it appears to be a commemorative letter opener created for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Austrian heavy industry and munitions firm. Here's what Wikipedia tells us:

"On April 16th, 1864, Josef Werndl founded the "Josef und Franz Werndl & Comp. Waffenfabrik und Sägemühle in Oberletten" (Josef and Franz Werndl & Partners), from which later emerged the "Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft", and subsequently the Steyr Werke AG and Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, from which STEYR MANNLICHER was a division."

As you said, this is quite a handsome artifact! Cheers and thanks for sharing it with us,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          I've not seen this piece before, but from the dates on the hilt it appears to be a commemorative letter opener created for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Austrian heavy industry and munitions firm. Here's what Wikipedia tells us:

"On April 16th, 1864, Josef Werndl founded the "Josef und Franz Werndl & Comp. Waffenfabrik und Sägemühle in Oberletten" (Josef and Franz Werndl & Partners), from which later emerged the "Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft", and subsequently the Steyr Werke AG and Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, from which STEYR MANNLICHER was a division."

As you said, this is quite a handsome artifact! Cheers and thanks for sharing it with us,

Br. James
          That sounds very good

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post

Br. James
            Yes, that sonds logical and makes sense.

I googled a bit and found some artists working with metal living in Steyr at that time, maybe theyr work? In the back HK is ingraved.

What would be a fair price for that letter opener?
            I'll make better pictures as soon as possible, it deverses it.

Ostmaerker

Comment

Very nice piece, probably a gift to a NS or other representatives. well made.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X