Black scabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black scabbard

I picked up this scabbard today and wondered if anyone could help me properly ID it, from my limited dagger knowledge, I believe this is for an SS dagger, the fittings are really nice and bright and appear to be good quality so I am thinking it is an early type, missing three screws and the bottom bulb damaged sadly, any info appreciated
    Attached Files

Sss or nskk

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
      Sss or nskk
      thanks Nick, I did think NSKK, I guess there is no real difference, was going to put this on estand

Comment

Yes, it could be either SS or NSKK; SS and NSKK daggers were both produced with anodized and later painted scabbards, and the earliest black NSKK scabbards were from SS production.

Do I see rust on the body of this piece, partially covered up with black paint?

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          Yes, it could be either SS or NSKK; SS and NSKK daggers were both produced with anodized and later painted scabbards, and the earliest black NSKK scabbards were from SS production.

Do I see rust on the body of this piece, partially covered up with black paint?

Br. James
          thanks for the info, my pictures are not the best, the paint is chipped, these areas show old patina, here are a couple other pictures, I do see a tiny bit of rust
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, John. Do I see brush-marks on the scabbard body? Can't tell for sure. With three of the four screws missing, this piece may well have been cannibalized for other scabbards, or it could be the remainder of a parts piece...??

Br. James

Comment

I see what you mean about brush marks, I cant explain what that is, perhaps how the metal was worked underneath,

I have a feeling it could well have been played with by kids, hence its appearance
                  Last edited by grndevil44; 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I took it out into better light, the brush marks are where somthing has been wiped off at some point, good eyes, I guess these things end up in sheds or basements, I used to play with a beat up silver portepee knot when I was a kid, wish I knew better
                    having handled a few HJ knives and fighting knives with a bit of wear and tear, made me pretty confident it was an original piece

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X