Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing frog

Hello

Today I got this rig. The frog is amazing and it the first time I can see one like that. It was on a german K98 bayonet. It is like a kind of "skeleton" and it seems to be made with a part of a belt.
    I think it is uncommon.

What's your feeling about this frog ?

Regards
    Alain
    Attached Files

More photos...
    Attached Files

Comment

One more.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jwh44 View Post
        Hello

Today I got this rig. The frog is amazing and it the first time I can see one like that. It was on a german K98 bayonet. It is like a kind of "skeleton" and it seems to be made with a part of a belt.
        I think it is uncommon.

What's your feeling about this frog ?

Regards
        Alain
        Alain,

My first hands on experience with this type was years ago with imports from as I recall Yugoslavia. All or almost all having the "V" line of stitching on the back piece, and sometimes copper rivets. They were also for the most part a little longer than the "shorty" (M42) for the folding shovel. Which is not to say that I've haven't seen them argued as "last ditch" - but Germany at the end was more or less boxed in - and the addition of a knot??

With Best Regards, Fred

Comment

bayo frog

Charastics of Yugo frog George Wheeler does state in his book these were used by Germans and even modified. timothy

Comment

Nice skeleton frog, made from belt or similar, i personally dont believe its have some link to Yugoslavia.

Comment

Hello

Thanks to all for your comments.

Regards
              Alain

Comment

Bayonet Frog from Kingdom of Yugoslavia M24, or M48 from Communist Yugoslavia, have different characteristics than frog on this in the photo.
                Bayonet portepee is added later on the bayonet frog.

Regards
                Rancid66
                Last edited by Rancid66; 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The greater Los Angeles area had multiples of relatively large importers from all over the world, and I believe still has one who does a fair amount of arms business with the former Yugoslavia. And I’m in agreement that I don’t think that it’s a standard Yugoslavian Army frog. And to be candid I wasn’t taking notes or pictures at the time while I looked at large quantities of ex-WWI and II German, Czech, Russian and other arms from China, Romania etc. and I have to rely on my memory. This was I vaguely recall at least 15 or more years ago, with some very large (and I mean large) boxes filled with very well used and not reworked German bayonets. And piles of mixed field type gear of various types including these frogs which I was told were from Yugoslavia (or at a minimum the Balkans).

I had never seen one personally from a U.S. veteran source, with a friend of mine purchasing 3 or 4 of these which we used for a side by side comparison. And with an old collector book that had a photo of one, and the German M 42 it was with the “V” line of stitching at the top which imitated to some extent the triangle stitching of the Yugoslavian frogs that led us to a conclusion of a wartime, possibly ‘partisan’ origin for these frogs. Although I imagine that you could argue theater made, or even for use by local German auxiliaries. With the one other thing I remember being that it was too long/dimensionally-off to be a good substitute for the M42 “shorty”. Having one other observation to add. The “Breadbag” frogs which were seen most often from U.S. and French veterans, but (in Germany itself) not seen with the UK veterans to the north. And this is Alain’s (a very dedicated collector) first experience with them. Best Regards, Fred

Comment

Hi Fred
                    Thanks for all this information.
                    Regards
                    Alain

Comment

Nice,and this is my frog with ffc44.
                      Last edited by lopez72; 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Last edited by lopez72; 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X