R. Hering Named Twice Kriegsmarine Officers Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R. Hering Named Twice Kriegsmarine Officers Sword

Help Needed ??? I just purchased this from a US veterans family just yesterday .. They were told by another it belong to "Robert Hering " Sword looks to be from the WWI period I think .. Researching that name comes up that he served as a Capt . on a ship that was sunk ... Google brings up the following
    May 1945 T36 Kptlt. Robert Hering Mined off Swinemünde ..

Is this likely to be the same Kriegsmarine officer??

What a shame that the Ivory grip has some damage and missing its red eye on the lionhead .. Untouched uncleaned ... R. Hering on flip down guard and in gold etching on blade .. No Maker .. Loosk to be a possible real Damascus blade .. Any help with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated .. Naval swords is not my area .. See many pictures Brent
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brent Smith; 03-23-2014, 10:59 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The Officer on T36 was Robert Hering, born on August 10. 1918 so he did not served in WW1.

Comment

Question : Is it likely this was the same "Robert Hering's " In WWII

Question : Is it likely this was the same "Robert Hering's " In WWII ????? I know WWII Kriegsmarine officers carried earlier Kriegsmarine officers swords ?? Does the name on the blade look WWI done or possible later added for WWII service ID ? Anyone have any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate knowing the possibilities ?? Brent

Comment

The sword itself is correct and I see nothing out of place. By the way it's a Damascus blade . The only thing now is to get more info through the archives.

Comment

Hi,
              What a nice sword you have there even though I'm anti ivory[would have to tell myself it's bone] a little ruff but i am partial to a nice navel sword shame about the blade rust.
              mark

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Smith View Post
                I know WWII Kriegsmarine officers carried earlier Kriegsmarine officers swords ??
                WW I veterans were allowed to wear Kaiserliche Marine daggers and swords for sure but the young KM officers filled accurately regulations orders. Although the T36 Kptlt. Robert Hering story is very interesting, IMO the name engraved and etching more fit to WW I period.

Regards
                Jakub

Comment

The Rangliste der Kaiserlich Deutschen Marine fur das Jahr 1914 shows one officer with the R initial and last name Hering.

Perhaps your officer was Richard instead of Robert.

Richard Hering was a two decade veteran if the navy in 1914.

Hope this helps some.

Tony
                  Attached Files
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

This looks like the same sword That a (Judy) is selling on e-bay.Condition is the big problem here, to bad it was a great sword.... I find that most of the Imperial sword research people do is half baked at best... (not talking about you Tony) you seem to be on the right track...I own many rangliste books and they are they way to go oldest with rangliste at home is 1811....
                    Last edited by damasco; 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Beautiful sword

Comment

Thanks Jim.

I figured this naval sword was an earlier example given non-articulated hilt.

Tony
                        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks for all the help .. Id looks answered for sure

Thanks for all the help .. Greatly appreciated Brent

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X