X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen Loesche

Hello,

Here are my 2 W. Loesche knife.

Interesting the leather frog period shortened on one.

The other is numbered on blade & scabbard.

JC
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

JC, These are great Luft forestry knives, which are extremely well built, which happen to be missing out of many a blade collection.
          Congrats !

-wagner-

Comment

Quite lovely.....I have never been able to find one so clean

Comment

Luftwaffe forestry dagger

Hello, I have a guy who for $2000 is selling what he referred to as a first model Luftwaffe forestry dagger.it looks just like a regular first luft with all aluminum fittings and chain hanger but he says it has dark green leather coverings on both the grip and scabbard.he also is very indignant that we long time collectors haven't heard of them.im having a hell of a time locating as my info....anyone on here hel me out?regards,
              Paul

Comment

I'm not a 'dagger guy' by any means, so I tried to find something about the piece you describe on the internet. All of the reverences I could find show photos of a piece resembling a bayonet or a fighting knife; nothing like "a first model Luftwaffe forestry dagger" akin to your description. There was one listing by a British gun dealer of an item not shown; his description of this item is:

"RARE, Nazi / WW2 Era German Luftwaffe Forestry Officials Dagger By ‘Ch AW’ (Chromolit-Besteckfabrik, Arthur Wingen, Solingen) Retailed By Waffen Loesche Berlin With Stag Horn Scales, Steel Scabbard & Nazi Marked Leather Frog . Sn 12956 - 12956 This is an excellent Luftwaffe Official’s Forestry dagger with scabbard & frog (see page 185 of Collecting The Edged Weapons Of The Third Reich Volume 1 by Johnson where an identical example is interestingly described as a Luftwaffe dress bayonet). These substantial weapons were not only symbols of rank but were also carried when hunting large game such as Boar for self defence and to deliver the 'death blow' to the hunted prey. This quality example has Stag Horn scales secured by 3 brass screw bolts. It has a small oval finger guard and original leather hilt washer. Its 8 ¼” blade has medial ridge and fullers on both sides. The blade is marked by the manufacturer ‘Ch AW’ (Chromolit-Besteckfabrik, Arthur Wingen, Solingen see page 91 of The Sword and Knife Makers of Germany 1850-2000 by Anthony Carter) on one side and the reverse by the retailer ‘Waffen-Loesche Berlin’ (illustrated in image 2). The back of the blade is stamped ‘H’. The sidearm measures 12 ¾” overall length and is complete with its original black painted steel scabbard. The scabbard is fitted with its correct original brown leather frog. The frog is undamaged and the rear of its belt loop has a very faint Waffenamt (illustrated inset in image 2)."

But this item, too, sounds like a bayonet or a fighting knife to me, not what I would recognize as an 'officer's dagger.' Hopefully some of our colleagues here will have more information; I'd be interested, too!

Br. James

Comment

Hello all!

Those knifes by Waffen-Loesche are NO Luftwaffe forestry officials daggers or knifes!
                  Forestry officials of Army and Luftwaffe wore the normal hunting dagger (Hirschfaenger) which was also worn by the civilian forestry branches. Regulation for Army and Luftwaffe forestry list only the hunting daggers.
                  The knot for "officer´s" was the portepee for the normal Luftwaffe dagger.

The Waffen-Loesche knifes are surely akind of parade /dress knife for another Unit: the Forstschutzkommando!
                  But that unit was more a forestry guard than real foresters (lower ranks were volunteers from woodworkers, officer´s from state/ national forestry service) in the occupied eastern countries, guarding the polish woodworkers and also used in Anti-Partisan-Warfare.

best
                  Stefany

Comment

Originally posted by foersterBerlin View Post
                    Hello all!

The Waffen-Loesche knifes are surely akind of parade /dress knife for another Unit: the Forstschutzkommando!
                    But that unit was more a forestry guard than real foresters (lower ranks were volunteers from woodworkers, officer´s from state/ national forestry service) in the occupied eastern countries, guarding the polish woodworkers and also used in Anti-Partisan-Warfare.

best
                    Stefany

Hello Stefany,

Do you have any period photos or literature on these Forstschutzcommando personel that were authorized to wear the Waffen-Loesche knives ?

Best of Hunt,
                    -wagner-
                    Last edited by Serge M.; 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Wags!

I think there was a thread here in the WAF that was about the Forstschutzkommando.
                      Unfortunately it is still a "mystery" unit - not all things regarding uniform colours, ranks, weapons are clear.

Most photos known show their "field" equipment: K98 with bayonet. And until now I have not seen a walking out pic.
                      But it is likely, as they were neither Army nor Air Force, that they had some kind of walking out knife or dagger.
                      This is the Waffen-Loesche knife - it was worn by the OR´s and NCO´s - the officer´s had the Hirschfaenger.
                      Though I think it was not a really official item. But I will do further research - perhaps W.Saris knows more about. He was the author of an excellent article about the Forstschutzkommando in Militaria Magazine 2008.

I know there was a limited edition for collectors of this knife produced with some history about - and it was called Forstschutzkommando Seitengewehr.

Best Stefany

Comment

Beautiful blades.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X