Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double etched army for review

PLEASE HELP.
    HI ALL, I PICKED THIS UP TODAY ON A PART TRADE AND JUST WANTED TO GET SOME OPINIONS TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING LOOKED CORRECT. VERY HARD TO PHOTOGRAPH BUT I DONE MY BEST. LOOKS ALOT BETTER IN HAND.
    THANKS BRODIE

Correct Eickhorn heer with type4 fittings and stamped maker mark...can't say that I have seen this etch before, but I am no authority on etches..good luck! Kevin

Comment

Billy, what do you think? Like Kevin, I never seen a etch like this before. It doesn't look crisp or detailed to me, but this is not my forte.

Comment

Like you guys I don’t do etched blades but as Kevin said all Eickhorn components on dagger and maker mark looks correct. This one my have a chance. Let’s see what John Z thinks.

Comment

There are a couple of things that make me question this etch and really want to hold it in hand.

1) the lightness of the etch.. not the usual Eickhorn deep and crisp.
          2) the pregnant eagle really puts me off.

John

Comment

I was just in the supermarket with crummy reception trying to look the etch over. The font is Eickhorn-esque & it's good that the fittings & blade are Eick too. That said, I've never seen this pattern etch either. Not that that's dispositive but, like John says, I have concerns about the etch's lightness, the adler that's 6 months long & I just don't like the oakleaves myself. Something about the rough detail on something that's supposed to be a special order item. This isn't a Holler product we're looking at, Eick's quality etch work was better than this IMHO. Could it be period, sure, but I guess I have a few questions. Could be a new generation of etched Heer fake like the new fake etched bayonets that have correct marked blades. Guess I'd like an in hand before I'd be comfortable with it. Interesting nevertheless.

Comment

Etch looks like it's upside down

Comment

OK, home now & looking on a full sized screen. The details are very fuzzy, the letters are quite lacking in crispness & definition &, as John noted, the etch is quite shallow in general. I would say just given the pictures, that this is a period dagger in all respects with the exception of the blade etch which was added postwar but this is just MHO.

Comment

I would expect to see the blade plated after the etch, just like Eickhorn dress etched bayonets.

This would not be a dagger I would wqnt in my collection.

Bob Hritz
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bad blade IMO. No plating???

Comment

hi all I new that the dagger was original but I was unsure about blade. so etch is post war and has no chance of being period?
                      it is very hard to photograph and looks a lot better in hand. I might take some more pics in day light and repost. the person I got it of said he paid $100 for it 15 years ago at a garage sale.

Comment

No chance

Comment

I would take your guys opinion to the bank but that sure looks like a plated blade to me – look at the maker mark you can see plate lift on the E

Comment

hi all thanks for the replys
                            I don't no if it makes any difference or not but im pretty sure the pommel and cross guard are solid nickel/silver there notable heavy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X