Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ knife with motto +/-?

Opinions?
    I dont have the time to repost all pics so check them out on this link.
    http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?...2&m=4850010672

You posted in the best place to get an opinion, GD.com. I like it though. Not 100% of the time this is true, but the HJ emblem should wiggle whe you press on it.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Looks fine to me as well. Could you post a photo of the whole knife?
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Larry->
        If you scroll to the right you see the whole knife, just a very large photo.

Comment

Oh, that scroll button, Okay.
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Originally posted by schönbeck
            Opinions?
            I dont have the time to repost all pics so check them out on this link.
            http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?...2&m=4850010672
            Hello

Although I am new to this forum, I have two HJ knives and to me this one looks good (great condition as well ). But you better wait for the real experts to give their opinions!

Mike

Comment

My concern would be the asking price for the piece vs. the condition...it just looks too good for the price!

Secondly, it could just be the photo, but the blade looks "stubby" (for want of a better term) to me.

Lastly, on a piece with the motto on the blade I would expect to see the maker mark in lieu of - or at least in addition to - the RZM mark. Anyone else out there have an HJ knife with motto that just has the RZM mark?

My two cents' worth,
              Skip

Comment

Looks brand spanking new .Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Skipper - There are HJ knives with mottos and RZM only. I had one once. GD.com brings to light there is a seam on the quillion (not good). Good eye on their part. The scabbard paint is not shiny and thick looking like on originals. Tough to tell from the photo. Also mentioned was the rivets look off when viewed from the rear.

Comment

no there is no seam on the quillon.
                    the HJ diamond is like it should be, moves when you tap it.
                    Rivets, just look that way when I took the shoot fromthat angle, also think that this a big closeup.
                    seems like an original, but I'm waiting for Russ on the gd forum to see what he have to say.

Comment

looks ok - but......

This knife has all the right features for an original transitional piece with motto:
                      • Clipped in emblem
                      • Scabbard throat without a rolled edge
                      • Thick ricasso
                      • RZM mark perpendicular to blade length (there are RZM marked blades w/motto and no maker mark) RZM marks can be on the blade center or ricasso as this one.
                      • Etched motto (appears to be anyway).
                      The shape of the tip is probably okay. These were made by dozens of firms and there are slight variations in blade shape (I have a transitional Klitterman & Moog with a blunt tip I thought was reground until I saw another just like it)

I am also concerned about the asking price - a near mint one with a motto should be twice or more what you paid - especially from a dealer.

Two things to check would be:
                      1) Smell the leather hanger - if it smells like tanning chemicals it's a new repro
                      2) RZM M7/5 should be a Carl Julius Krebs. If you can find an original Krebs HJ with maker mark, motto, RZM M7/5 code and the same physical features or one with just the RZM M7/5 Mark (no motto) and the same features I would feel pretty good about it.

An early maker marked Krebs with motto would probably have a thin ricosso (same thickness as blade) and would not be a direct comparison feature for feature.

Comment

HI, Talked with DD Harris and he had the same maker, I have compared and they are the same. I also have another HJ with motto and I compared them today, very close, but different makers. I have already had an offer for $900 on this one.

They guy who sold it didnt know that it was rare, just a youngster.

Comment

I would sell in a heartbeat if I received a $900 offer. Congratulations

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X