little coin shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

little coin shop find

In a pile of letter openers at a coin shop i pulled these out and quickly bought them. the 2nd was a marine Mamaluke and this

Congrats, my friend -- a fine letter-opener for any collector's desk! As for its originality to the period, that leaves me with questions. The pommel cap appears to be amateurish in execution and the fit of the scabbard and the crossguard is quite undistinct, almost as if the scabbard didn't belong to the dagger. If this was a salesman's sample or a miniature, it would not entice me to buy the full-sized pieces. The grip is oddly scored as compared with the full-sized Navy dagger; this piece is scored with several individual rings instead of a single downward spiraling cut, which included a wire insert in the groove. At best it is reminiscent of a Kriegsmarine officer's sidearm -- which is certainly good enough to lay on most anyone's desk as a letter-opener! Thanks for sharing this,

Br. James

Comment

It's not a salesman sample just a simple letter opener. I don't think it was intended for anything else.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X